Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lousy Book Covers tumblr

annis
Bibliomaniac

Lousy Book Covers tumblr

Post by annis » Thu January 10th, 2013, 3:47 am

This tumblr isn't about historical books, but it's good for a choke-on-your-coffee chuckle. As the site's byline says - just because you CAN design your own book cover doesn't mean you SHOULD, people. My favourite is Lumberjack in Love - that guy looks more like he's contemplating a spot of murder - I mean what do you have to do to stop a girl clutching at your knees, for goodness sake? :)

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/archive
Last edited by annis on Thu January 10th, 2013, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 10th, 2013, 3:53 am

I think I'd be more amused if they were lousy covers for books by known publishers, not mostly self published or seemingly self published ones.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 10th, 2013, 3:59 am

Unlike some publishers of the past, regular publishers today generally understand that the book's cover is its marketing showcase - something many self-pubbed authors haven't yet cottoned on to. Mind you, with stuff like the old pulp fiction, the trashy covers were one of the main attractions!
Last edited by annis on Thu January 10th, 2013, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu January 10th, 2013, 9:32 am

Wow, some of those have to be ironically bad on purpose... right!? :eek:

Some of the titles are a bit special too, I like A View to a Kilt (Sep 12).

Which month is the lumberjack cover under? I can't find it!

ETA: Found it! December 2012. I think I missed it as I was looking out for one of those covers with a photo of a guy's muscular torso or something...
Last edited by Lisa on Thu January 10th, 2013, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 16th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Some of those are actually rather nice. I have a friend whose cover was on there and for the genre it's entirely acceptable. Also it looks better in person than it does online.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat February 16th, 2013, 10:50 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I think I'd be more amused if they were lousy covers for books by known publishers, not mostly self published or seemingly self published ones.

SM[/quote]

I don't know, Sonja. From what I understand, one of the advantages of self publishing is the author gets a say in their cover art. Granted, many self published books do have terrible covers, but I've seen plenty of awful traditionally published covers as well. Much of PG's covers come to mind(in my opinion at least.) TOBG and The Constant Princess, IMO, were atrocious and I am hoping the headless woman book cover trend is ending.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon February 18th, 2013, 12:42 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I think I'd be more amused if they were lousy covers for books by known publishers, not mostly self published or seemingly self published ones.

SM[/quote]

Agreed. Self Published books tend not to have the greatest covers. I'm sure there are some out there.

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]I don't know, Sonja. From what I understand, one of the advantages of self publishing is the author gets a say in their cover art. Granted, many self published books do have terrible covers, but I've seen plenty of awful traditionally published covers as well. Much of PG's covers come to mind(in my opinion at least.) TOBG and The Constant Princess, IMO, were atrocious and I am hoping the headless woman book cover trend is ending.[/quote]

Having their say is fine, if they know how to catch a reader's attention. We've done four covers to the comic so far that I worked on and it is a painstaking process. Its really not as easy as it seems. Sometimes things like this are better left to the professionals(though I am by no means a professional) I mean the people in the publishing bussiness. And yes, of course ther eare some crappy covers from publishers.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon February 18th, 2013, 2:10 am

[quote=""Divia""]Agreed. Self Published books tend not to have the greatest covers. I'm sure there are some out there.

Having their say is fine, if they know how to catch a reader's attention. We've done four covers to the comic so far that I worked on and it is a painstaking process. Its really not as easy as it seems. Sometimes things like this are better left to the professionals(though I am by no means a professional) I mean the people in the publishing bussiness. And yes, of course ther eare some crappy covers from publishers.[/quote]

Agred Divia. I was more pleased with the Spanish cover of Evita than the English one. What does to the comic mean?

Return to “Chat”