Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today: 2013 Edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]The Housemaid's Daughter looks interesting. Is it fiction?[/quote]

Yes, it is fiction. Here's the blurb:
Cathleen Harrington leaves her home in Ireland in 1919 to travel to South Africa and marry the fiance she has not seen for five years. Isolated and estranged in a harsh landscape, she finds solace in her diary and the friendship of her housemaid's daughter, Ada. Cathleen recognises in her someone she can love and respond to in a way that she cannot with her own husband and daughter. Under Cathleen's tutelage, Ada grows into an accomplished pianist, and a reader who cannot resist turning the pages of the diary, discovering the secrets Cathleen sought to hide.

When Ada is compromised and finds she is expecting a mixed-race child, she flees her home, determined to spare Cathleen the knowledge of her betrayal, and the disgrace that would descend upon the family. Scorned within her own community, Ada is forced to carve a life for herself, her child, and her music. But Cathleen still believes in Ada, and risks the constraints of apartheid to search for her and persuade her to return with her daughter. Beyond the cruelty, there is love, hope - and redemption.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 16th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Her Sister's Keeper by Linda Barlow. 1918, Cornwall, aviation theme.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun February 17th, 2013, 1:45 am

Now that I'm settled I can once again order in books and DVD's. :D

The list below should arrive during Feb/April

A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore (I remember someone mentioning this author and I had never heard of her...so thought I'd give it a try)
A kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught ( I used to read her books in my twenties)
The Forgotten Queen by D.L Bogdan
The Georgetown Ladies Social Club by C. David Heymann(love gossip in high places)
Counting One's Blessings by William Shawcross
John Saturnalls Feast by Lawrence Norfolk(I also remember this book got a mention by I can't remember who)
The Agincourt Bridge by Joanna HIckson

Downtown Abbey 2012 Xmas Special DVD (Finally I will get to see it soon!)

Bec :)

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun February 17th, 2013, 11:52 am

[quote=""rebecca""]
A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore (I remember someone mentioning this author and I had never heard of her...so thought I'd give it a try)
[/quote]

Me maybe?? I'm not sure I would have started with this particular book as it's quite challenging. I love it, though. Can be a bit difficult to get into as it's not written chronologically, but stick with it.
Will be interested to hear what you think of it.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun February 17th, 2013, 5:47 pm

B&N had an online history bargain book sale at even lower prices than in the store. Picked up hardbacks for $2-$4:

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave and Other Stories by Frederick Douglass
Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland by Malachy McCourt
Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris (the third and last in Morris' series on Theodore Roosevelt).
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Mon February 18th, 2013, 3:42 am

Just bought Thwarted Queen by Cynthia Sally Haggard on Kindle. It's about Cecily Neville, Duchess of York. I hope it's good! I just love this time period! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon February 18th, 2013, 4:50 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Me maybe?? I'm not sure I would have started with this particular book as it's quite challenging. I love it, though. Can be a bit difficult to get into as it's not written chronologically, but stick with it.
Will be interested to hear what you think of it.[/quote]

I'm not sure to be honest, but I will give it a go and the author seems to receive some good reviews on her works.

I am trying to branch out a little in my reading and trying new authors(to me that is). I have been thinking of buying a Jodi Picoult, but again I am not sure what is her best book? Anyways I'll give it a go.

Bec :) PS: When I read it I'll let you know.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 18th, 2013, 7:02 am

I've found Dunmore rather variable. I thought Counting the Stars was positively limp, while The Siege was excellent.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 18th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I've recently read Dunmore's "The Greatcoat", which was a ghost story, which wasn't bad; an easy read and a bit spooky.

Just bought:

River of Destiny by Barbara Erskine
The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon February 25th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I received quite a few gift cards for my birthday and finally was able to put them to good use! I bought the following at B&N and Amazon:

The Oracle Glass by Judith Riley
The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James
The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Huber
The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
For the King by Catherine Delors
The Girl on the Cliff by Lucinda Riley
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”