Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue January 8th, 2013, 10:15 am

Oooh, I like fairy tale novels.

Now... Heretic by Bernard Cornwell
Last edited by Nefret on Tue January 8th, 2013, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 8th, 2013, 6:13 pm

I enjoyed Snow Child - I have a taste for stories with a fairytale/mythic cast.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue January 8th, 2013, 6:39 pm

The Snow Child was one of my best reads of 2011 - read it just at the end of the year.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed January 9th, 2013, 10:30 am

The Snow Child is my next read. I enjoy fairytales and retellings of legends.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed January 9th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Just hit the half-way mark in A Dance with Dragons. Because we're all down with a bug, haven't made any progress on my exercise/commuting book.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 10th, 2013, 11:19 am

I've just started The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu January 10th, 2013, 11:22 am

I have to admit I started reading 50 Shades of Grey and think I'm going to bail at about page 90. When I broke my foot a few months ago, a friend dropped me round her copies of all three books (goodness knows why). Anyway, I had a little window, so I thought I'd dip in and see what all the fuss is about. I don't really have the stomach to go much further...

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu January 10th, 2013, 11:56 am

Marmee and Louisa, a bio of Louisa May Alcott and her mother. Fascinating stuff, tho the author has a tendency to repeat her points about how bad it was for women in those days, over and over again. Still very readable. Great for anyone who was a fan of Little Women.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 10th, 2013, 12:48 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I have to admit I started reading 50 Shades of Grey and think I'm going to bail at about page 90. When I broke my foot a few months ago, a friend dropped me round her copies of all three books (goodness knows why). Anyway, I had a little window, so I thought I'd dip in and see what all the fuss is about. I don't really have the stomach to go much further...[/quote]

It was obviously a triumph of hype over content and of a book being in the right place at the right time and marketed very cleverly indeed. I thought it was very second rate and in no way a ground breaker. This sort of material has been around for ever and far better written. I have a dear friend who has been writing erotic fiction for Black Lace and others for more than 20 years and her content and quality of writing, while being commercial is streets ahead of this bilge. She finally got her break on the tails of the Fifty Shades books. Her own latest novel entered the Sunday Times Bestseller lists as FS sales began to die off. At least she's earning some good income from it and perhaps picking up more readers. People say that cream rises to the top, but sometimes the crap does too!

Edited to say I'm still busy with John Guy's biography of Thomas Becket - takes me longer to read non fiction than fiction.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu January 10th, 2013, 2:08 pm

[quote=""EC2""]bilge[/quote]

That's an amazing word!

I admit I had to look it up. As always, Urban Dictionary has some other entries for it, but I really, really hope you meant this:
Wikipedia wrote:The bilge is the lowest compartment on a ship, below the waterline, where the two sides meet at the keel. The word was coined in 1513. The word is sometimes also used to describe the water that collects in this area.

Return to “General Discussion”