Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 5th, 2013, 10:50 pm

[quote=""EC2""]LOL! Didn't we have a post for such gems a while back? You get manicured lawns. Perhaps she had to shave her moustache hair?[/quote]

We had a good chuckle at Goodreads, her face was manicured as well. I'm wondering what the word is the author really wanted to use.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun January 6th, 2013, 2:56 am

Lol! Maybe something like "finely shaped" or "clear-cut"? Sounds like the sort of mistake a non-English translator might make!

Currently reading Robert Graves' autobiographical Goodbye to All That, making a start on this year's TBR bucket list. Compulsive reading- covers Graves' boyhood and tome spent as a soldier at the Western front.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 6th, 2013, 2:48 pm

[quote=""annis""]Lol! Maybe something like "finely shaped" or "clear-cut"? Sounds like the sort of mistake a non-English translator might make!

Currently reading Robert Graves' autobiographical Goodbye to All That, making a start on this year's TBR bucket list. Compulsive reading- covers Graves' boyhood and tome spent as a soldier at the Western front.[/quote]

But her bio says she's a nurse and lives in Montana :confused:

I've started Children of Liberty by Paulina Simons, the prequel to the Bronze Horseman books.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 6th, 2013, 3:22 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I've started Children of Liberty by Paulina Simons, the prequel to the Bronze Horseman books.[/quote]

I see it's about Alexander's parents and I see early Amazon reviews are mixed. I'll be interested in what you think about it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 6th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Can a moderator please start a 2013 Book Log section? Thanks! :)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 6th, 2013, 4:11 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Can a moderator please start a 2013 Book Log section? Thanks! :) [/quote]

I think only BB has that power, so we'll have to wait for her.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 6th, 2013, 4:28 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I think only BB has that power, so we'll have to wait for her.[/quote]

OK, we will wait for the powerful Boswellbaxter! (I'm that powerful at Unofficial Royalty!) LOL! ;)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 6th, 2013, 7:30 pm

[quote=""Susan""]I see it's about Alexander's parents and I see early Amazon reviews are mixed. I'll be interested in what you think about it.[/quote]

Booooooooooooooooooring! Skimming a lot. She should have started when the story was interesting and then set up the back-history. Instead, we're getting every minute detail of every event in their lives. And their family's lives. Yawn.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun January 6th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I started Steven Pressfield's The Gates of Fire last night and am loving it.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 6th, 2013, 8:19 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Booooooooooooooooooring! Skimming a lot. She should have started when the story was interesting and then set up the back-history. Instead, we're getting every minute detail of every event in their lives. And their family's lives. Yawn.[/quote]

Oh no! Sounds like the third book of the Tatiana and Alexander trilogy.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “General Discussion”