Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 27th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I'm about to start part 2 of A Storm of Swords, I thoroughly enjoyed Book 1.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun January 27th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Finished Mariana by Susanna Kearsley. I liked this one much better than The Winter Sea; more tension and mystery.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 12:36 am

Just finished a Georgette Heyer I hadn't read, Cotillion. Delightful. Now I'm diving into something completely different, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. Neither novel is a fast-paced read, although I'm slowing down more for Mrs. Dalloway. Heyer's Regency-period language is tons of fun, and does slow a reader down a bit. Mrs. Dalloway makes slower reading because it's packed, from one sentence to the next, of insights into the almost sub-conscious way that people think, of symbolic imagery, and of leaps from one character's thoughts to another's - so I need to slow down to take in all the meaning. I rather like having to read at a slower pace; my life has been rather speedy lately, so it's a nice break.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 28th, 2013, 10:03 am

I'm just about to start Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. I may be sometime!! :eek: :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 28th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Not HF per se but very much a time period piece: Night Circus

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 28th, 2013, 1:54 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Not HF per se but very much a time period piece: Night Circus[/quote]

I loved that book :) ! It has a definite period feel to it.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon January 28th, 2013, 2:32 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Not HF per se but very much a time period piece: Night Circus[/quote]

I enjoyed The Night Circus too, the descriptions are lovely. But I did feel, especially at the end, like it was written with an eventual film in mind.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 28th, 2013, 3:01 pm

yes I thought I had a very visual quality, apparently a film is in development. I think Tim Burton should direct it, he has the right visual flair.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 28th, 2013, 3:40 pm

We were discussing that re first- and third-person narrative choices at a recent writer's meeting. Night Circus inserted passages between sections written in second person: "You go up to the gates, and s such and such happens..."

How did those sections work for you?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 28th, 2013, 4:00 pm

[quote=""MLE""]We were discussing that re first- and third-person narrative choices at a recent writer's meeting. Night Circus inserted passages between sections written in second person: "You go up to the gates, and s such and such happens..."

How did those sections work for you?[/quote]

I don't remember that very much, which probably means it didn't bother me. I think my only quibbles with the book were 1) I think it dragged a bit in the middle, and 2) I sometimes had to look back to see what time period I was in. Minor points though, overall I loved it and it was in my top 5 books of last year.

Return to “General Discussion”