Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed January 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm

I'm back from a self-induced internet hiatus and hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday!! I'm currently bouncing around from book to book looking for something to sink my teeth into. Right now it's Kathleen Herbert's Moon in Leo. It might stick...we will see.
Brenna

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 12:29 am

Finished Blackhouse by Peter May. Excellent. Very interesting the part about the Guga Hunt and the insight in Lewis customs. It's funny how I've just zoomed with Google maps to a random street in Stornoway and I've got a church, a seller of religious books, some shop saying "Christian care for body and soul" which I have no idea what they sell and this in the first minute of wandering lol. Love google.

Now reading Daughter of the Red Deer by Joan Wolf
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 4:03 am

Still on the Icelandic theme, now reading Margaret Elphinstone's wonderfully evocative Sea Road, based on the true life story of Gudrid Thorbjarnardóttir, known as Gudrid the Far Traveller.

For some reason I thought I'd read this in the past, but I found I hadn't- I think I was confusing it with Thomas Holt's Meadowland. The two books have very similar covers- that's my excuse for mixing them up anyway - nothing to do with getting old and dotty :) Meadowland is a dark adventure set in Viking Vinland and features Gudrid's much nastier sister-in-law, Freydis, daughter of Eirik the Red.
Last edited by annis on Thu January 3rd, 2013, 4:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 9:55 am

I loved The Blackhouse; I also found the background interesting, including the guga hunt, and I liked the way that the author almost made the island a character in it's own right.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 5:35 pm

I gave in and started A Dance with Dragons last night. 100 pages into the 1000. Got hooked right away because he started with my favorite character Tyrion!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm

Starting Mantel's Bring up the Bodies.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri January 4th, 2013, 2:13 am

[quote=""fljustice""]I gave in and started A Dance with Dragons last night. 100 pages into the 1000. Got hooked right away because he started with my favorite character Tyrion![/quote]

Wait till you get to the end :eek: ....You will understand why I can't wait for the next volume..er 'Winds of Winter?'

Bec :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri January 4th, 2013, 4:16 am

How many books are in A Song of Fire and Ice? I'll get around to reading that series someday.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri January 4th, 2013, 9:33 am

[quote=""Nefret""]How many books are in A Song of Fire and Ice? I'll get around to reading that series someday.[/quote]

Think it's five published so far, with two more planned.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri January 4th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Ok, I'm working my way through Herbert's Moon in Leo and I have to ask-did anyone else have trouble following the story in the beginning? I'm about 24% in and I think I'm starting to get who everyone is and where the story is going but I'm sure she will throw a monkey wrench in that by 25%.
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”