Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Trailers

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Book Trailers

Post by EC2 » Wed October 1st, 2008, 3:52 pm

This is being very nosy Michelle, but how much does something like that cost and did you have to pay for it yourself or did the publishers stump for it?

I think it's absolutely superb!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:10 pm

EC - it's not nosy at all!!!! I will admit, it was actually quite pricey, since so much green screen was involved. Brady Hall charged $6000, but he did several versions of the trailer - one for the internet and another with voice-over for theatres. He also does trailers for much cheaper depending on how much green screen needs to be done. He's a fantastic director to work with. He did James Rollins' trailer for The Judas Strain, and I believe he also did the trailer for The Luxe (it's on his website, at least).

As for who paid for it, I did. I do a great deal of marketing on my own, although with each book, my publisher has been increasing their own marketing dollars. Now we try to share some of the expenses. So while I paid for this, Crown paid for seven days of the NYT online for THQ, which was just as (if not more) expensive, and they'll hopefully do the same for Cleo's Daughter.

If this is something you're interested in, I would suggest asking your marketing department and bargaining with them (however, I really enjoyed your trailer for A Place Beyond Courage which Kailana posted on Historical Tapestry!). Brady works on all sorts of budgets, so if your house doesn't want to spend $6000, it can be done for less. The cost includes casting, green screen, makeup artists, stylists, costume rentals, location rentals, studio rentals, thug rentals (read gladiators or professional swordmen), still shots for print advertising, and of course, all of the camera equipment.
Last edited by michellemoran on Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:17 pm

Oh, and here is Brady's trailer for James Rollins featured on GalleyCat. This is how I found him.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:17 pm

Thank you for this Michelle - very useful and interesting to know. I have a nil marketing budget - always have, but if October's royalties are good, then spending the dosh on a video might be a lot better than giving it to the tax man! :D
I do think it's a superb trailer - congratulations all round!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:18 pm

My ignorant question - do they show book trailers in theatres? I've never seen one there, but what a great idea.

I'm slowly catching up with posts but am going to go watch the trailer now.

(Just fixed this post b/c I see it's for the upcoming novel and not the current one!)

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:24 pm

Ariadne - I've never seen one either! HA! But I like to try a lot of "outside the box" marketing techniques, and I think this is a large reason my publishing house is willing to put more and more of their own marketing dollars behind my books (btw, more and more doesn't mean a lot - just more!). When I find an idea that works, I let everyone know (like Icanhascheezburger.com - awesome!). When the ideas suck (like having my publishing house send me 3 foot tall posters of Nefertiti), I own that as well.

So maybe it will be a waste of money, or maybe it won't. But there's only one way of knowing!! If I got on the blower and really hunted around, I could probably find another author who has tried theatre marketing. I figure if it doesn't work, at least it will give my friends a hoot when they see it. I do, however, plan on using the final cut for a few commercials.
Last edited by michellemoran on Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:27 pm

Thank you, EC! And yes, if it's a choice between the tax man and a video, start writing your script!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Wed October 1st, 2008, 5:36 pm

I think I have seen trailers for books at the movie theatres. I know for sure I have seen a couple on television!

James Rollins is one of my favourite authors, so that is very cool that he also had a trailer done by the same person! I think that is the next book I have to read by him. I can't remember how far behind I am anymore!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 11:23 am

I've heard book trailers if you can call them that :confused: on the radio. I do like the idea of book trailers becuase in a digital age it can help catch people's eyes. Plus if its on youtube people can put it on their blogs and the lurkers, who never post, might see it, think its a cool book an order it.

I know when next year I'll post Michelle's book trailer on my blog about a month or so before the book is released. Hey every little bit helps. :)

EC I thought you had a book trailer for one of you novels. Or am I going crazy?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 11:26 am

There are a couple for EC's novels. We have two up at Historical Tapestryhere
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “The Writing Business”