Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Scientists to unravel centuries-old mystery of King Canute

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Scientists to unravel centuries-old mystery of King Canute

Post by Rowan » Mon December 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm

A centuries-old mystery surrounding the bones of King Canute could soon be solved by forensic experts.

They are to examine the skeletal remains of Anglo-Saxon royalty that have lain in wooden ‘mortuary chests’ at Winchester Cathedral for more than 350 years.

Canute, the 11th Century king who famously tried to command the tides, was buried in the cathedral but his remains and those of his family were scattered when Roundheads ransacked it during the English Civil War.
Full story

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Tue December 18th, 2012, 12:14 pm

When I went on a tour of Winchester Cathedral recently, the guide mentioned that one of the chests contains a small box just filled with teeth that had fallen out of the skulls; someone had collected them up after the remains had been scattered during the civil war.

Return to “History in the News”