Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NPR's list of best historical fiction for 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Pasky
Scribbler

Post by Pasky » Sat December 15th, 2012, 2:51 pm

So, how do you REALLY feel about Wolf Hall?

Interesting. I was having an email exchange with some folks in my writer's workshop about the trade-offs in writing historical fiction, the primary one being literary versus historical truths. I too read for entertainment. I am willing to overlook the bending of SOME facts if it serves the higher purpose of art and some serious authorial intent.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat December 15th, 2012, 4:06 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]I wouldn't say it's NPR's choices - it appears to just be one person's opinion, that of author Mary Sharratt. Note the plug for her own novel at the end of the article.[/quote]

AND note the information by the first poster that no books by members of the Historical Novel Society were eligible, which kind of wipes out great swathes of historical fiction.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat December 15th, 2012, 6:39 pm

What the first poster implied sounded a little odd, so I went back and reread Mary's post on the HNS list. She'd said that she wasn't allowed to plug books by her talented friends in the community, which makes sense. Review outlets will typically ask writers to avoid reviewing books by friends, as it's considered a conflict of interest. Their extending this to all members of a large organization would be going a little far, though. I'd be surprised if that was the case.

FWIW, I loved Twelve Rooms of the Nile and The Orchardist. Book of Madness I gave a 3 out of 5. It made for a great travelogue through Renaissance Europe, but I thought the heroine and structure were rather stiff... the novel's outline was too clearly visible.
Last edited by Ariadne on Sat December 15th, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”