Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Overrated protagonists

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Helen_Davis

Overrated protagonists

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu December 6th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same beef I do with certain characters being done over and over again. I love Cleopatra, but I decided to start an alternate history series when I wrote about her since her real story has been done over and over. (still looking for publishers, wish me luck on that!) What other overdone characters come to mind? For me, it'ss Anne Boleyn, Eleanor of Aquitiane, Henry VIII and Napoleon.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu December 6th, 2012, 8:04 pm

I agree that Anne Boleyn is a bit overdone. As for Henry VIII though, I haven't read so many novels in which he is the main protagonist, although he does pop up a lot since so many novels on his wives exist.

There are a lot of books out about Eleanor of Aquitaine, but many seem to concentrate on different periods in her life, and I feel that there are more angles to take on her than on Anne Boleyn.

I would add to the list Marie Antoinette, and Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy, if P&P spin-offs count :)

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu December 6th, 2012, 9:06 pm

[quote=""Lady of Bennachie""]I agree that Anne Boleyn is a bit overdone. As for Henry VIII though, I haven't read so many novels in which he is the main protagonist, although he does pop up a lot since so many novels on his wives exist.

There are a lot of books out about Eleanor of Aquitaine, but many seem to concentrate on different periods in her life, and I feel that there are more angles to take on her than on Anne Boleyn.

I would add to the list Marie Antoinette, and Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy, if P&P spin-offs count :) [/quote]

They do. I would add Mary Queen of Scots too, and Elizabeth I, although I adore her. I would like to see a book about Madame Pompadour!
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Thu December 6th, 2012, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”