Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue December 11th, 2012, 12:07 am

There were two Disney versions of Pocahontas ... ??
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue December 11th, 2012, 4:48 am

Erm, I meant sequel. There are direct to video (or is it disc?) sequels for everything.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 11th, 2012, 9:58 am

Les Mis not out til Jan in the UK either.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 11th, 2012, 10:08 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Les Mis not out til Jan in the UK either.[/quote]

Yeah but it's out on Christmas Day in the US, but Vashon just won't see until Jan.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue December 11th, 2012, 10:43 am

Do people go to the cinema on Christmas Day? I don't think they would be open in the UK - everything closes apart from the pub (and Indian corner shops!) and pubs usually only have limited hours unless their serving Christmas Dinner.
Last edited by Vanessa on Tue December 11th, 2012, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 11th, 2012, 11:19 am

The cinemas here aren't open on Xmas Day, and I think they close early on Xmas Eve too.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue December 11th, 2012, 4:13 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Do people go to the cinema on Christmas Day? I don't think they would be open in the UK - everything closes apart from the pub (and Indian corner shops!) and pubs usually only have limited hours unless their serving Christmas Dinner.[/quote]

I know several family members that consider it a tradition to go to the movies on Christmas day. There are actually several movies open on the 25th specifically. I always find it a bit sad because the workers don't get to spend the day with their families. Hence the reason I boycott shopping on any major holidays-even has the right to enjoy family time.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue December 11th, 2012, 5:01 pm

I live in the city that never sleeps or closes down (except for hurricanes!) There are millions (literally) of people here who do not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. Although many of us still "celebrate" it as a secular event with music, decorations (Hanukkah bush anyone?) and parties. There's an urban legend that all Jews go to Chinese restaurants and the movies on Christmas Day in New York. I confess we've done so on more than one Christmas (but always in a hipster ironic way ;) ) I do feel sorry for anyone who wanted the day off and had to work. When he worked as a news producer, my husband always volunteered to take the Christmas Eve and Day shifts so a Christian could have the day with his/her family.
Last edited by fljustice on Wed December 12th, 2012, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue December 11th, 2012, 6:59 pm

There isn't much choice in the UK - everything shuts apart from pubs and Indian corner shops. It wouldn't be worthwhile them opening as the majority of people will be over indulging in food and drink. It's the one day when everywhere seems deathly quiet and there are hardly any cars on the road. Our local pub is shut all day Boxing Day (the 26th), too. Apparently they like to sit around in their pyjamas and have a 'duvet' day! LOL. The sales start on Boxing Day which I tend to avoid like the plague - the thought of queuing doesn't appeal at all. We usually have a party instead.
Last edited by Vanessa on Tue December 11th, 2012, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue December 11th, 2012, 11:32 pm

I'm old enough, and cracker enough, that I do sometimes miss the days when everything closed on Christmas (and Christmas Eve too, a lot of retail). BUT, I try to remember that my city has grown enormously, and is a lot more diverse than it was just 40 years ago. Nostalgia in this case is, necessarily, Christo-centric, so I try to resist that.

Christmas Day stateside is a HUGE box office date. It's been over the past 25 years this phenomenon has grown and, indeed, established itself to the point where like Brenna, a lot of people and families consider an outing part of their tradition.

Me, I prefer Jim Beam bourbon balls and fudge for my traditions!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”