Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What happens if you ignore your intuition?

Helen_Davis

What happens if you ignore your intuition?

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

I really want to go to France, but whenever I start to plan my trip, I feel like a warning inside telling me not to go. It seems to say 'Go to Spain or Israel instead.' I want to go, but I know ignoring your intuition is generally a bad idea. My friends said "I don't know what will happen, but I wouldn't ignore the feeling. Better safe than sorry."

What are your thoughts?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

Can I ask why France in particular seems to give you concern?

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 11:49 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Can I ask why France in particular seems to give you concern?[/quote]

I really can't answer that. I'm just scared, I guess.
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Sun December 2nd, 2012, 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 10:30 am

There's nothing about France to be scared about. It's a very pretty country and fairly laid back. And Paris is great, very cosmopolitan and virbrant! Just stick to the well known places and don't venture out into any dodgy areas - the same as anywhere really. It's no good worrying about what might or might not happen, otherwise you'd never go anywhere.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 11:09 am

I've wandered around the streets of Paris at 1.00 in the morning, and felt perfectly safe (safer than at the same time in London!) even the area around the Moulin Rouge was fine - loads of people about. I don't know if you were planning on visiting Paris, but it's a wonderful city, and certainly no more risky than most cities.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

I want to visit the area by Switzerland where a friend is and the Midi

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 10:06 pm

I agree that France in general is pretty safe but...if you feel that strongly about it I would say to go somewhere else. It may not be France that's the problem, could be the timing. Maybe another time would be better for visiting France.

There have been times when people had a similar experience and changed their plans to find that if they had followed through with them, they would have been caught in an accident or storm, or some such thing.

Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Return to “Chat”