Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? December 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue December 11th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Finally finished a doorstop book (668 pages--luckily on the NOOK.) The Frontiersmen, which is called a novel but reads like non-fiction. Excellent research on the settling of the Northwest Territories from both the Native American and settler's POVs. Fascinating discussion in the Author's Chapter Notes that implies Andrew Jackson, our 7th President (and first "Western" president) was born at sea as his parents immigrated to the United States, thus making him ineligible for the Presidency. Eckert provides some convincing evidence. The first birther controversy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 11th, 2012, 5:41 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Finally finished a doorstop book (668 pages--luckily on the NOOK.) The Frontiersmen, which is called a novel but reads like non-fiction. Excellent research on the settling of the Northwest Territories from both the Native American and settler's POVs. Fascinating discussion in the Author's Chapter Notes that implies Andrew Jackson, our 7th President (and first "Western" president) was born at sea as his parents immigrated to the United States, thus making him ineligible for the Presidency. Eckert provides some convincing evidence. The first birther controversy![/quote]

I have a copy of that in MMPB. A friend at Goodreads just raved about it. I'm currently working on Rebecca Brandewyne's Upon a Moon-Dark Moor. Cornwell setting.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue December 11th, 2012, 11:48 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I enjoyed Sacred Treason but had to suspend my disbelief at some of the derring do undertaken by the characters. That they were still able to function and undertake missions after what had happened to them was a bit of a stretch.[/quote]

No kidding!!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed December 12th, 2012, 12:22 am

The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell

(at first, I was looking for the book at the library under the wrong name) :o
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 12th, 2012, 1:48 am

Posted by Nefret
The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell
(at first, I was looking for the book at the library under the wrong name)
Yep, yet another case of the confusingly different US/UK title. I don't know why it was felt that American readers couldn't cope with the original title, Harlequin.

In French "Harlequin" was "Hellequin", a stock character in French passion plays. Hellequin, a black-faced emissary of the devil, is said to have roamed the countryside with a group of demons, chasing the damned souls of evil people to Hell. Not surprising then that the name "hellequin" became attached to the mercenary soldiers and routiers who infested France during the 100 Years War, roaming about plundering and killing the local populace.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed December 12th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Starting a non-fiction ARC--Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman. Two young female journalists circumnavigate the world--in opposite directions--in a race inspired by Jules Verne's novel. Only two chapters in and already riveted!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu December 13th, 2012, 2:22 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Nefret
In French "Harlequin" was "Hellequin", a stock character in French passion plays. Hellequin, a black-faced emissary of the devil, is said to have roamed the countryside with a group of demons, chasing the damned souls of evil people to Hell. Not surprising then that the name "hellequin" became attached to the mercenary soldiers and routiers who infested France during the 100 Years War, roaming about plundering and killing the local populace.[/quote]

Harlequin was also the stock character in the Italian Commedia della Arte, the form of theatre that was popular in the 16th century. Many other character types (Pantalon, Pulcinella, Pierrot) and many of the scenarios were used by later playwrites (including The Bard and Moliere) for their plays.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu December 13th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Bouncing between two books right now -- Mrs. Queen Takes the Train, and Ann Rule's new book, Fatal Friends and Deadly Neighbors.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu December 13th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Pendragon's Banner by Helen Hollick. (And the three Bernard Cornwell novels.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Dead of Winter" by Nicola Upson
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 14th, 2012, 10:33 am

Just finished "A Christmas Homecoming" by Anne Perry, will read another of these before Christmas.

Thinking of bailing on "Fear Not" by Anne Holt though, nearly halfway through and I'm still bored.
Currently reading: The Dead of Winter by Nicola Upson

Return to “General Discussion”