Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? November 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue November 13th, 2012, 7:03 am

Not HF - Peter May's Blackhouse, followed in short order by The Lewis Man, but darn it! have to wait till next year for the third book in the Lewis Trilogy, Chess Men. Loving these suspenseful mysteries set on the bleak but beautiful Outer Hebrides. Plenty of atmosphere and action and characters with tangled pasts and emotional baggage to sort out.
Last edited by annis on Tue November 13th, 2012, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 13th, 2012, 9:51 am

I loved The Blackhouse and have The Lewis Man on mount tbr. As Annis says, fantastically atmospheric and the Isle of Lewis is a character in it's own right. It's a bit different to the usual police procedural, as there's lot of character background and flashbacks along with the story.
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue November 13th, 2012, 10:30 am

I have Blackhouse on the TBR. I guess I should stop buying books for a while and try to reduce the mountain a little... uh. Reading River God by Wilbur Smith. Quite good :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue November 13th, 2012, 11:34 pm

Not HF today, but it's one that I've been looking forward to all year -- Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold. About three-quarters of the way through, and having a grand time with it.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 15th, 2012, 2:03 pm

I’ve started Armageddon by Leon Uris. I read this once when I was a teen and remember feeling deeply affected by it. I decided to read now to see how it’s held up after all these years. I’m not very far in, but the writing does strike me as clunkier than I remember. However, the subject matter (the waning days of WWII in Germany and the partitioning of Berlin after the war) are so interesting it hardly matters.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu November 15th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Dreaming the Hound, 4th in the Queen Boudicca series by Manda Scott. Very well done.
Brenna

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu November 15th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Finished up with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, and have now moved onto Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 16th, 2012, 12:50 am

Getting ready to start When the Music Changed by Marie Reno. Civil War, big fat book with tiny, tiny font.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 16th, 2012, 2:32 am

Battling on with Tim Severin's Saxon - bah, as I feared, another earnest travelogue along the lines of Viking. If you want details of life in Charlemagne's Frankia you'll enjoy it, if you want a story with zing, forget it. Our hero, a young Saxon lordling called Sigwulf, has all the personality of a bowl of cold porridge, but I have hopes of his slave/companion Osric, who's showing signs of having hidden depths.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri November 16th, 2012, 5:38 am

Shadows and Light by Anne Bishop
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “General Discussion”