Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hurricane Sandy

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Hurricane Sandy

Post by princess garnet » Sun October 28th, 2012, 1:30 am

To other forum members on the eastern US coast, please stay safe and dry as Hurricane Sandy makes its way up.
The mid-Atlantic states are under emergency now. Snow has been forecasted in some areas.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun October 28th, 2012, 10:17 am

My parents are outside Philly and they live in an older neighborhood with big trees - whenever big storms hit like this, they always worry about trees falling onto their house. They've had several uprooted in the past but fortunately, none on the house so fingers crossed it remains that way! Their basement also used to leak like crazy but I think they got that fixed - they actually live on a hill so they shouldn't have to worry about flooding but there are other areas, lower or closer to the Delaware, that usually get hit hard so I'm hoping they have overestimated the storm as a precaution. :(

Hope everyone stays safe!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 28th, 2012, 11:56 am

Hope everyone is tucked up safe and warm and well stocked. From reading some of the news reports, this is one of those you-never-know what it will do kind of storms. Better to err on the side of caution.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 28th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Being in New Jersey, I will be in the middle of the storm. There could be as much as 10 inches of rain. The wind will be 35-45 miles per hour with gusts from 60-75 mph. There could be widespread loss of electricity. It should all start Sunday afternoon and could not be over until Wednesday. The storm will affect 50-60 million people. Hope everyone in Sandy's path stays safe. Hopefully I will not have school (although we will have to make up the days in June) and will be able to finish The Summer Garden where I am currently sitting on my hands so I do not do physical harm to the two protagonists. (Misfit knows what I am talking about.) I will make sure my old Kindle and my Kindle Fire are completely charged.
Last edited by Susan on Sun October 28th, 2012, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun October 28th, 2012, 1:25 pm

will be able to finish The Summer Garden where I am currently sitting on my hands so I do not do physical harm to the two protagonists. (Misfit knows what I am talking about.)
:D :) :o ;) :eek:

Yep. Tanzanite will too IIRC.

This storm is starting to sound like one of the whopper wind/rain storms we get around here every 5-10 years. When that continues for 2-3 days it can be quite devastating. I hear Hawaii just dodged a bullet with the Tsunami potential after the earthquake in BC, plus parts of the Northern California/Southern Oregon coasts are still under warning.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun October 28th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Porch furniture is put away, trash cans in the garage; stocked up with water, batteries and canned food. Now to backup my computer and buy another corded phone (discovered ours doesn't work.) Hubby is off to CBS with an overnight bag because the MTA is closing down tonight, so I'm on my own until further notice. Fingers crossed for no/short electrical outages. In any case, have books, sweaters, candles and cats!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun October 28th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Ugh, I just spoke to my parents and apparently, they did not fix the basement leak! What they have is a pump to keep the water from filling up in one area of their yard against the house where it leaks. The pump is effective at keeping the basement from leaking but the problem is, if the power goes out, the pump stops! And the power is certain to go out, the area they live in, all it takes is your average thunderstorm for the power to go out for at least an hour. So they are currently on a frantic search for a working spare generator since all stores are sold out. Someone my dad works with has one but apparently has also been using it for "spare parts" which means they don't know if they can get it to work.

I'm really worried because the last time this happened, they wound up bailing out the yard with buckets for 2 hours in the middle of the night and they said it was exhausting. My dad is 60 and just yesterday was having back problems and my mom, 57, gets neck pains sometimes. Plus, last time they had the help of my cousin and her friend who were staying over at the time. This time, they are on their own. There is no way they'll be able to do the bailing on their own if it comes to that but I'm worried they will try and hurt themselves! :(

I could really smack my dad for not just buying a generator before now! Every time the power goes out, he contemplates it but never does!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 28th, 2012, 5:07 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Ugh, I just spoke to my parents and apparently, they did not fix the basement leak! What they have is a pump to keep the water from filling up in one area of their yard against the house where it leaks. The pump is effective at keeping the basement from leaking but the problem is, if the power goes out, the pump stops![/quote]

We have a sump pump that has two battery back-ups. It was installed when we had French drains put in the basement about 8 years ago. Previously we had a pump like your parents. Now there is never a drop of water in the basement. Some people may ask, "What are French drains?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_drain
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 28th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Just got the robo-call. No school for me on Monday and Tuesday.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 28th, 2012, 6:09 pm

This storm sounds scary - will be keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Return to “Chat”