Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Starz announces "White Queen" adaptation (Phillipa Gregory)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 4:53 pm

They've filmed in Bruges, so it should look lovely.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon December 17th, 2012, 12:45 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ugh. No. No. No.[/quote]

Ditto. I write alternative history. It is one thing to be upfront about what I do and say -- this didn't actually happen, this is a what if scennario, it is another to outright lie about historical events and people. When I read TOBG I felt like all of Anne's haters had written it. What does she have against Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I? Did one of them do something to her?
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Mon December 17th, 2012, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 17th, 2012, 1:15 am

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]Ditto. I write alternative history. It is one thing to be upfront about what I do and say -- this didn't actually happen, this is a what if scennario, it is another to outright lie about historical events and people. When I read TOBG I felt like all of Anne's haters had written it. What does she have against Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I? Did one of them do something to her?[/quote]

TOBG is the only PG book I have read and I didn't take it the way you did. It doesn't paint Anne in an entirely flattering light, but it does emphasize that some of her worst behavior, if you could even consider it bad, was likely due to the stress of her position. And there was no reason to be specifically kind about Anne anyway as it was supposed to be Mary's story, not Anne's--a fact the makers of the film completely overlooked. Sisters can love each other dearly and still have fierce rivalries going on. Imagine how much that could have been amplified in a court like Henry's and a family like theirs.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 17th, 2012, 1:23 am

I just checked out the IMDB page for it and the cast looks fantastic! So it may be watchable despite its lack of accuracy. James Frain is playing Warwick. Max Irons (son of Jeremy Irons and Sinead Cusack) is Edward IV. Janet McTeer is Jacquetta. Those are just the highlights of the list. Here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2372220/fullcredits#cast

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat May 11th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Recently saw a commercial for this on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018kbh1

It looks great up until the voice over says "A war that won't be won on the battlefield". Really? The results of the battles had nothing to do with the victors of the wars? I get that they are trying to show that the series focuses on the women of this story and how they played important or even pivotal roles - but I would not agree with the statement that it wasn't won on the battlefield.

[quote=""LoveHistory""]TOBG is the only PG book I have read and I didn't take it the way you did. It doesn't paint Anne in an entirely flattering light, but it does emphasize that some of her worst behavior, if you could even consider it bad, was likely due to the stress of her position. And there was no reason to be specifically kind about Anne anyway as it was supposed to be Mary's story, not Anne's--a fact the makers of the film completely overlooked. Sisters can love each other dearly and still have fierce rivalries going on. Imagine how much that could have been amplified in a court like Henry's and a family like theirs.[/quote]

I've read interviews with PG that definitely lead me to believe that when it comes to historical figures, she has people she likes and dislikes, as though she knows them personally or has emotional attachments to them, and Anne Boleyn is one of the ones she dislikes and so is Henry. This is one of the main reasons I dislike PG's books - her characters are so one-dimensional and entirely based on who she likes and dislikes on a personal level.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 13th, 2013, 9:38 am

I'm looking forward to watching this when it airs in the UK in June!

I notice there's a series about the Tudors to be shown on BBC2, not sure when!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 16th, 2013, 10:31 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]
I notice there's a series about the Tudors to be shown on BBC2, not sure when![/quote]

Vanessa, the new Tudors documentary season starts next Thursday 23 May on BBC2 at 9pm with "The last days of Anne Boleyn". The following night, Friday, there will be "Henry VIII's enforcer: The rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell".

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 16th, 2013, 1:29 pm

And they're repeating The Tudors as well, right from the beginning when it was actually quite good!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 16th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Thanks for that, SPB. I'll look forward to watching it.

Madeleine, do you know when the re-run of The Tudors is starting? We started watching it and then got out of the habit. I would like to watch it again from the beginning right to the end!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri May 17th, 2013, 3:45 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Vanessa, the new Tudors documentary season starts next Thursday 23 May on BBC2 at 9pm with "The last days of Anne Boleyn". The following night, Friday, there will be "Henry VIII's enforcer: The rise and fall of Thomas Cromwell".[/quote]

Oh man!!!! I'd love to see those doco's...I'll have to keep checking Amazon U.K for when I can buy them! You lucky people you! :p

Bec :)

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”