Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? September 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
R.W.Ware
Scribbler

Post by R.W.Ware » Tue September 18th, 2012, 1:11 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Finishing The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell[/quote]

I'm fond of this entire series.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. Never allow thoughts of gain lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.

--David Gemmell, The First Chronicles of Druss The Legend

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 18th, 2012, 1:27 am

R W Ware
I'm fond of this entire series.
Me too! Unfortunately will have to wait another year for the next Uhtred installment - this year Bernard Cornwell is publishing his novel about the Battle of Poitiers.

Currently reading Naomi Mitchison's When the Bough Breaks and Other Stories, an evocative and sometimes slyly ironic collection of historical short stories set during various periods of the Roman Empire. Mitchison explores the relationship between conquered and victor which is one of her favourite themes. Vercingetorix makes several appearances - most movingly in prison in Rome, just before his execution.
Last edited by annis on Tue September 18th, 2012, 2:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Tue September 18th, 2012, 3:11 am

[quote=""R.W.Ware""]Still finishing The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles translated and collated by Anne Savage, begining Conscience of the King by Alfred Duggan, The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great by Donald Maass, re-reading All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Marie Remarque, The Naval Documents of the American Revolution collated by William Bell Clark and William James Morgan, and still working through Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman.[/quote]
All Quiet on the Western Front is a dynamite read....I put together some WWI materials for display in my classroom....the kids learned a lot about war (taken out of Social Studies curriculum in BC...grrr) and thoroughly enjoyed the novel. Highly recommended!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 18th, 2012, 5:15 am

[quote=""R.W.Ware""]I'm fond of this entire series.[/quote]

I'm going to read the rest when I finish this book.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue September 18th, 2012, 2:35 pm

annis;104531Currently reading Naomi Mitchison's [i wrote:When the Bough Breaks and Other Stories[/i], an evocative and sometimes slyly ironic collection of historical short stories set during various periods of the Roman Empire. Mitchison explores the relationship between conquered and victor which is one of her favourite themes. Vercingetorix makes several appearances - most movingly in prison in Rome, just before his execution.
I'm intrigued. Is this an indie-pubbed book? I checked it out on BN & Amazon, published in 2006 with a very plain cover and costing $29.99 for pbook (high print price usually the sign of a POD.) Amazon has a Kindle edition for $7.99, but no Nook. Also no ratings...

OK answered my own question. Amazon has used hardback copies published in 1927 and 1933. I guess I'll check out my library!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

R.W.Ware
Scribbler

Post by R.W.Ware » Tue September 18th, 2012, 5:25 pm

[quote=""annis""]R W Ware

Me too! Unfortunately will have to wait another year for the next Uhtred installment - this year Bernard Cornwell is publishing his novel about the Battle of Poitiers.
[/quote]

I have 1356 pre-ordered through Amazon UK, so, it'll be read by January. It comes out this month in the UK. It's worth the year's wait for the next Uhtred book.

@Nefret: They are definitely on my re-read list (and, honestly, with the personal to-be-read library I have amassed, few books are).

@Berengaria: This is why I'm re-reading it. My soon-to-be-fifteen-year-old son has already read "All Quiet on the Western Front", also. (Then again, I've had him reading chapter books since before Kindergarten.) Strange that I never learned it had a sequel until recently. It also is on my night-stand "to-be-read" pile.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. Never allow thoughts of gain lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.

--David Gemmell, The First Chronicles of Druss The Legend

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 18th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Posted by F L Justice
I'm intrigued. Is this an indie-pubbed book? I checked it out on BN & Amazon, published in 2006 with a very plain cover and costing $29.99 for pbook (high print price usually the sign of a POD.) Amazon has a Kindle edition for $7.99, but no Nook. Also no ratings...
Yes, it's quite old and was originally published in 1924 - it was in fact the second book she published after her debut novel The Conquered, which is set around Vercingetorix's campaign against Caesar (she was obviously intrigued by Vercingetorix and the fall of Gaul to the Romans).

Mitchison was a fascinating woman, well ahead of her time and she was, I think, the first historical fiction author to write her novels in plain English, which was a radical breakaway from the quasi-archaic language routinely used by Victorian and Edwardian historical novelists. She was an upper class type herself, and her take-off of her contemporaries (what we'd now call Sloane Rangers) in the story Cottia went to Bibracte, about a ditzy but indomitable young Roman noblewoman, is quite delicious.

My copy (1974 ed.) has a cover which makes it look like a children's book, and I see it was originally filed in the juvenile section of the library which sold it as surplus stock. However, although children feature (hence the title) it doesn't read to me at all like a book written for children and isn't described as such. Curious!
Last edited by annis on Wed September 19th, 2012, 4:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed September 19th, 2012, 5:32 am

I read and finished The Twentieth Wife in about a day. There was something about it, though, that felt rushed and undeveloped, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Am I just imagining that reaction, or did anyone else feel the same way?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed September 19th, 2012, 5:44 am

[quote=""lauragill""]I read and finished The Twentieth Wife in about a day. There was something about it, though, that felt rushed and undeveloped, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Am I just imagining that reaction, or did anyone else feel the same way?[/quote]
That book was DNF for me. Not that there was anything wrong with it I could put my finger on; it just couldn't keep my interest. I kept picking it up and giving it another go -- probably didn't help that in the meantime I forgot what had been part of the book, what was left over in my head from a similar attempt on The Root and the Flower, and what was from some dry history book. But none of the characters grabbed me, and when I was clearing out the shelves I gave it to my bookseller friend.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Wed September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Sara Gruen's "Water For Elephants" and I'm really enjoying it.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “General Discussion”