Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

King Richard III's grave may be under parking lot

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed February 6th, 2013, 1:11 am

[quote=""EC2""]I thought the programme was flawed. The scientific element was good, the 'Art Garfunkel' hair presenter was rather strange and didn't have the right sort of gravitas - I guess he was supposed to be some sort of everyman. The Richard III lady was loopy. When the body was uncovered with a spine like a question mark I thought she was going to collapse with the shock/horror. You could see her thinking (as the camera in full voyeuristic mode panned over her face - which it did constantly in the prog) 'Nooo, this is not how the script's supposed to go.'
When she saw the reconstruction at the end...if she could have taken that head home with her, she would have done, and probably had a relationship with it! I think the reco looks like Richard III at a glamour shoot for a magazine, having had a spot of photoshopping to smooth him out.

The programme I felt was dumbed-down and sensationalised when compared to the morning's announcements, but I guess it might have entertained the wider public.
Blaaaah.[/quote]

Too bad they didn't present better. But if it gets more people curious enough to buy HF, it's all good with me! :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed February 6th, 2013, 1:25 am

[quote=""MLE""]Too bad they didn't present better. But if it gets more people curious enough to buy HF, it's all good with me! :) [/quote]

I think it will. The boards have been buzzing with debate today. :) I suppose for people like me the morning introduction by the academics was a better fit so I got my fix, and the more general interest 'human story' TV made sure there was widespread audience coverage on the day.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 6th, 2013, 1:26 am

I love all the quips and car-park notices popping up on FB today. Also spotted this on a comment, but haven't listened to all of it yet.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 6th, 2013, 5:38 am

Now we have a stoush between York Minster and Leicester Cathedral over which should have the rights to Richard III's remains!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21336248

Shades of the sort of acrimonious tug-of-wars which went on in the Middle Ages over which religious foundation got the rights to enshrine the bones of some popular saint or other, thereby securing a monopoly on the lucrative associated pilgrim trade.

Admittedly Richard's power base was in the north, so it would make sense to have him buried there, but you can't help wondering whether the lucrative RIII-tourist trade might not also be a significant factor behind York's claim :)

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 6th, 2013, 10:36 am

What I found annoying about the programme was that it gave the impression that the "revisionist", anti-Tudor view of Richard as not in fact being an out-and-out villain was something brand-new propagated solely by the Richard III Society whom everyone else thought were wackos. That's far from the case.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed February 6th, 2013, 1:41 pm

[quote=""annis""]Now we have a stoush between York Minster and Leicester Cathedral over which should have the rights to Richard III's remains!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21336248

Shades of the sort of acrimonious tug-of-wars which went on in the Middle Ages over which religious foundation got the rights to enshrine the bones of some popular saint or other, thereby securing a monopoly on the lucrative associated pilgrim trade.

[/quote]

Yes. Hugh of Lincoln was not above chewing off a piece of Mary Magdalene's hand when he was visiting her tomb at another shrine and wanted a piece of her for Lincoln. Left alone with the corpse for a short while, the monks returned to find him biting a piece off because he couldn't do it with his fingers. One hopes similar doesn't happen in R III's case!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 6th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Posted by EC
Left alone with the corpse for a short while, the monks returned to find him biting a piece off because he couldn't do it with his fingers.
Eueew! You can just imagine the shocked and horrified tableau when the monks came back to find good old Hugh of Lincoln gnawing on their saint's hand! Here's hoping King Richard's bones are safe from being gnawed by over-zealous RIII groupies :) That rather toothy RIII Society lady who was in raptures over the reconstructed bust comes to mind.... *shudder*
Last edited by annis on Fri February 8th, 2013, 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu February 7th, 2013, 1:02 am

[quote=""EC2""]I thought the programme was flawed. The scientific element was good, the 'Art Garfunkel' hair presenter was rather strange and didn't have the right sort of gravitas - I guess he was supposed to be some sort of everyman. The Richard III lady was loopy. When the body was uncovered with a spine like a question mark I thought she was going to collapse with the shock/horror. You could see her thinking (as the camera in full voyeuristic mode panned over her face - which it did constantly in the prog) 'Nooo, this is not how the script's supposed to go.'
When she saw the reconstruction at the end...if she could have taken that head home with her, she would have done, and probably had a relationship with it! I think the reco looks like Richard III at a glamour shoot for a magazine, having had a spot of photoshopping to smooth him out.

The programme I felt was dumbed-down and sensationalised when compared to the morning's announcements, but I guess it might have entertained the wider public.
Blaaaah.[/quote]

I'm watching it now (for the moment it can be foundon YouTube), and agree with your assessment, especially the lady from the R3 Society. Still, fascinating stuff.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu February 7th, 2013, 3:10 am

It's a good thing a certain bone, um er, isn't actually a real bone *clears throat*.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri February 8th, 2013, 1:32 am

[quote=""annis""]Couldn't help chuckling at the gushy remark made by one of the RIII Society ladies:
"It doesn't look like the face of a tyrant. I'm sorry but it doesn't. He's very handsome".

I've no axe to grind about RIII one way or the other, but being handsome is no guarantee against villainy or even the basic degree of ruthlessness which was a job requirement for medieval kings.

Lots of people on Twitter having fun with quips like "Now is the winter of our disinterment" and "My kingdom for a hearse" :) [/quote]

LOL Hahahhahaha!!!!

Bec :p *still chuckling*

Return to “History in the News”