Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

King Richard III's grave may be under parking lot

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat January 12th, 2013, 5:48 pm

I've seen a couple articles stating that the conclusions have already been drawn ("it's a positive match!") but no formal announcements as yet ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat January 12th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Yeah, I read somewhere recently that they know it's him, but aren't announcing it until a tv show about it has been aired :|

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun January 13th, 2013, 2:36 am

I couldn't help thinking there were some longish odds in matching DNA with a descendant so far removed. Who would know if there had been a cuckoo or two somewhere in the nest over the generations to stuff up the pure bloodline?

Yes, I saw that about holding out until the associated TV programme is ready to air. Nothing like a bit of suspense to get the ratings up :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun January 13th, 2013, 10:15 pm

[quote=""annis""]I couldn't help thinking there were some longish odds in matching DNA with a descendant so far removed. Who would know if there had been a cuckoo or two somewhere in the nest over the generations to stuff up the pure bloodline?

Yes, I saw that about holding out until the associated TV programme is ready to air. Nothing like a bit of suspense to get the ratings up :) [/quote]

Still, unless one of those cuckoos just *happened* to be of Plantagenet blood, that should not then affect any apparent match *to* Richard Plantagenet generations later. If my family line are all Smiths, and a Jones comes along without anybody's knowing, and that unknown Jones' subsequent great-great grandson tests positive as a Smith, the Jones genetic presence can't actually negate the Smith positive.

Only if we're trying to prove Smith lineage on someone who *isn't* Smith - but secretly somewhere in their past a Smith paid great grandma a clandestine visit and contributed Smith genes into an otherwise non-Smith line does the cuckoo confuse the issue.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Mon January 28th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Documentary about the investigation 'Richard III: The King in the Car Park' on Channel 4 on Monday 4th Feb:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rich ... e-car-park

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Is that program only airing in the UK? It looks interesting.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Tue January 29th, 2013, 7:44 am

Yes, I think it might only be on in the UK but it might be possible to watch it on the Channel 4 website.

traveldog
Scribbler

Post by traveldog » Wed January 30th, 2013, 1:42 pm

From the Facebook page of the Richard III Society 1/30/2013

RICHARD III SOCIETY
2 hours ago
LEICESTER UNIVERSITY’S PRESS CONFERENCE 10AM 4 FEBRUARY 2013

The press conference will reveal the results of the investigations into the human remains found on the site of the Greyfriars.

There will not be a live stream on the university’s website, however the press conference will be recorded and put up on the site as soon as possible after its conclusion. Leicester University website: http://www.le.ac.uk/

The University will also be tweeting live from the conference:
http://twitter.com/uniofleicester

We understand that the BBC may be carrying a live stream via their website and news channel, subject to the news agenda for that day. BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 4th, 2013, 10:41 am

Press conference on TV now and they say it is Richard III.
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon February 4th, 2013, 10:49 am

Watched it all online. How cool!

IT seems like he was meant to be found. His resting place was just covered by a car park, and was found in the archeological trenches, the skeleton is remarkably intact (even a Victorian outhouse didn't disturb it), and there was extractable DNA, which could be compared to lineal descendants, which it was pointed out were the last in their lines.

The stars were aligned, and he was found!

Return to “History in the News”