Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A Royal Affair

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

A Royal Affair

Post by Rowan » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

Any of you knowledgeable people know if this is just a generic historical story or if it's based on something real?

A Royal Affair

Thanks!!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 2:47 pm

If it's the same film I'm thinking of, which came out in the UK fairly recently, it is meant to be based on a true story, although I don't know how much it sticks to the truth. It had quite good reviews, and I think a work colleague saw it and enjoyed it, although none of us are familiar with the history of it.
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 5:20 pm

Decided to put the old brain to use and looked up the king mentioned in the trailer: Christian VII. According to the Wikipedia article (which I know should be taken with a grain of salt), the movie is based on him.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 22nd, 2012, 8:49 pm

I've read a little bit about what the movie is based on. All very depressing.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu August 23rd, 2012, 1:38 pm

Books or just online, SM?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu August 23rd, 2012, 3:07 pm

Books. I'll list later when I'm on computer, probably tomorrow.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat August 25th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Yes, it is based upon Christian VII of Denmark, who suffered from some kind of mental illness, and his wife Caroline Matilda of Great Britain, the sister of King George III, and the affair Caroline Matilda had with her husband's doctor Johann Friedrich Struensee. Struensee was brutally executed and Caroline Matilda was divorced and sent to Celle Castle in Germany for the rest of her life, never seeing her children again. She died three years later at age 23 from scarlet fever.

The story is told in the non-fiction book A Royal Affair: George III and His Scandalous Siblings by Stella Tilliyard and in the novel The Visit of the Royal Physician (in the USA, The Royal Physician's Visit) by the Swedish writer Per Olov Enquist, both of which I have read.

It is thought that King George was reluctant to marry off his daughters because of what happened to his sister. Only three of his six daughters married and those that married, did so later in life.
Last edited by Susan on Sat August 25th, 2012, 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 27th, 2012, 3:20 am

Rowan: sorry I haven't responded sooner, I got really sick for two days (see worst thread). I read "A Royal Affair" as well, a yawn fest really, and too much time on Caroline in my opinion, and I also think she was covered in "Crowned in a Far Country: Portraits of Eight Royal Brides" by Princess Michael of Kent.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”