Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trip to Europe

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat April 11th, 2009, 12:15 am

[quote=""Leo62""]All the London suggestions are great, but beware! The journey from London to Canterbury is a bit of a pain. If you only have 5 days I'd give it a miss..[/quote]

When I was last in London a year ago I visited Canterbury using a bus tour company (Evan Evans...you can look them up on the Internet). The tour included Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, Dover and tea in an inn. I've used Evan Evans tours all three times I've visited London because it was a convenient and easy way to see other places in England.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat April 11th, 2009, 2:05 am

These are great guys - keep them coming! I bought the tickets last night so we are definately going!!

And EC, I am so bummed that our paths won't cross. It would have been great to say "hi". If anyone that's in the city would like to meet up for coffee (or tea!) let me know!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat April 11th, 2009, 3:19 am

Mmm, I remember taking a train to Cantebury, it was quick and easy. But that was a few decades ago and I know the train system has changed since then.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 10:28 pm

We leave next week for our trip and I"m so excited! Other than Hampton Court and Canterbury, are there any other day trips that anyone can think of? My husband has pretty much said I could go wherever I wanted to go and he would just follow me around but I think he would be interested in an old medieval castle (maybe ruins or something that hasn't changed much).

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 10:46 pm

Oh my gosh - have fun!!!!

What about Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath? A tripcan be organized from London to see all three in one day, and the Roman baths are intact and completely stunning.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri April 24th, 2009, 12:08 am

I'd personally skip Stonehenge and go to Avebury, but I don't know how much farther that is from London. I'd definitely second Bath

There's also Dover, Hastings, Arundel castle. There is also a place nearby with some really cool Roman ruins, and the name escapes me. Someone else know? (Cirenchester, maybe?)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri April 24th, 2009, 1:58 am

For some reason my husband drew the line at Stonehenge. I figure I better not push my luck!! So, what about going to Wales for a day to see Cardiff and Caerphilly and possibly Tintern Abbey - those look like places he would really like. It looks like it's 2 hours by train. Is that doable or am I being totally unrealistic?

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri April 24th, 2009, 7:12 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]So, what about going to Wales for a day to see Cardiff and Caerphilly and possibly Tintern Abbey - those look like places he would really like. It looks like it's 2 hours by train. Is that doable or am I being totally unrealistic?[/quote]

Wait for feedback from someone more familiar with the area but...I think Wales is too far for a day trip. There are lots of other places closer.

Avebury is amazing and we went there quite often as a day trip from London. There are the stones and bronze age barrows etc but if your husband is not into prehistoric stuff then maybe miss that. Bath IS amazing and quite different from everywhere else.

Being into prehistory, I don't know much about castles, but I am sure others on this forum can fill you in on that part.

Ash, I think you are thinking of Fishbourne Palace near Chichester on the south coast, West Sussex. If you are into Romans, it is one of the best sites in the UK, loads of mosaics and a museum. There is also another lovely little Roman villa - the Bignor Roman Villa - nearby at Pulborough, also West Sussex. Both are fantastic.

But wait a few hours and all the locals on the forum will have some castle suggestions, I'm sure! Have a wonderful trip, Tanzanite!!!!!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri April 24th, 2009, 7:27 am

There's Carnarvon Castle in Wales, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 24th, 2009, 11:12 am

Avebury is actually on the way to Bath so you could probably do those 2 in a day. Not sure about Wales but agree with the others that for a day trip (even by train) it's probably stretching it a bit. Chichester is well worth visiting and not far from Arundel.

Have a great trip and try not to get "castled-out"!

Return to “Chat”