Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downton Abbey Season 3

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 24th, 2013, 4:14 am

[quote=""Mythica""]Don't know - I think it was originally contracted for 3 seasons, which is now over, but they've signed for a fourth. I don't think they have contracted beyond that but that doesn't mean it won't happen.[/quote]

Fellowes has been quoted as saying that the story is planned for five seasons.

I'm ahead of the US audience because I found a way to watch online. But I had to stop after ep 5. First of all, too sad to continue. Second, my husband wants me to wait so we can watch it together when we get the DVDs.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 28th, 2013, 4:56 am

Waaaaaaaaaaah! I heard about the Christmas episode character loss, but didn't know about this one. Waaaaaah!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 28th, 2013, 10:02 am

And you haven't watched it yet?? :eek: Oh dear, that's a bit of a spoiler for you.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 28th, 2013, 12:31 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Waaaaaaaaaaah! I heard about the Christmas episode character loss, but didn't know about this one. Waaaaaah![/quote]

By some miracle, they managed to keep both incidents from being spoiled, so they came as a shock, especially the first one :eek:
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon January 28th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Just watched the newest PBS episode. :(
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon January 28th, 2013, 9:41 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Incidentally, a Spanish TV drama series, billed here as "the Spanish Downton Abbey", started this week in the UK (on Sky Arts for those here who have Sky).

"Grand Hotel" (or 'Gran Hotel' in its original title) was a big hit in Spain last year apparently. It is set in a luxury Spanish hotel in 1905. The first episode has aired but I haven't got round to viewing it yet. Looking forward to sampling it. Will report back!
[/quote]

Just reporting back. Have now watched the first three episodes of "Gran Hotel", the Spanish drama series promoted as the Spanish Downton Abbey. (All nine episodes have now aired here but I was waiting till it was complete before watching.)

It's pretty good, very watchable. Kind of like Downton in that there is a clear divide between the family who own the hotel and the guests on the one hand and the staff on the other. Intrigue, love and so on. It does differ in that the major plot strand is a murder mystery, possible two murders so far. Very little in the way of humour, though. It's all deadly serious. And there's even less focus on the wider historical setting than in Downton. But it looks gorgeous and the class structure feels authentic for the period. I think the second season has just started in Spain. Hope it comes here soon.

Enjoying "Mr Selfridge" as well. Not a patch on Downton, but watchable for sure.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue January 29th, 2013, 12:28 am

I didn't know about the big surprise or shock, so I'm glad I didn't know about it and I was able to watch the show.

However, to be fair i could feel it coming, but maybe thats cause I knew an actor was leaving the show.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue January 29th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Allen Leech did an online chat yesterday--he talks about filming what happened with Lady Sybil.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Fri February 1st, 2013, 5:40 am

PBS always ticks me off. I love Downton Abbey, but every season so far, I get to watch the first episode of the season in early Jan., but then I go overseas for 2 weeks. When I return my only option is to wait for the DVD to be released, rent it and watch the rest of the episodes in a marathon sitting. Masterpiece Theatre episodes are not allowed to be viewed on their website by Canadians, although we watch PBS on their Buffalo affiliate station. The channel is carried by every tv provider in my area. So, if you miss a single episode, you have to wait for the dvd to be released in order to watch it, while Americans can catch up via their website. And don't tell me to get a tivo (or PVR in Canada), because a split second power outage, which happens every now and then, will wipe everything out anyway.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat February 2nd, 2013, 1:32 am

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”