Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The CWA Ellis Peters Historical Award 2008 Shortlist

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

The CWA Ellis Peters Historical Award 2008 Shortlist

Post by diamondlil » Sat October 4th, 2008, 4:24 am

Thought this list might be of interest to some who are fans of Historical Mystery here.

Shortlist

Ariana Franklin, The Death Maze, Bantam Press
Philip Kerr, A Quiet Flame, Quercus
Andrew Martin, Death on a Branch Line, faber and faber
C J Sansom, Revelation, Macmillan
Andrew Taylor, Bleeding Heart Square, Michael Joseph
Laura Wilson, Stratton’s War, Orion

This year has brought an unprecedented number of excellent historical crime novels. The CWA Ellis Peters judging panel has asked for the following books from their long list to be published in recognition of their merit:

Marjorie Eccles, Last Nocturne, Allison & Busby
Ann Granger, A Mortal Curiosity, Headline
H R F Keating, Inspector Ghote’s First Case, Allison & Busby
R N Morris, A Vengeful Longing, faber and faber

The winner is announced on October 27

Source
Last edited by diamondlil on Sat October 4th, 2008, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 4th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Thanks diamondlil. It's an interesting list. I've read about three of them already, so off to a good start!
In case there'a some confusion I'd like to point out that Ariana Franklin's book "Death Maze" is also known as "The Serpent's Tale".

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat October 4th, 2008, 9:52 pm

The Ariana Franklin is the only one that I have read myself.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 6th, 2008, 9:52 am

The Sansom and the Franklin are on my TBR but not in the house. The Franklin's on order from the library, the Sansom is going to be a Christmas prez for my dh, but of course I get to read it afterwards. I've only vaguely heard of the other authors.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed October 15th, 2008, 5:47 am

I recently read Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death and enjoyed it a lot. (reviewed at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Mistre ... Death.html) I love the angle Franklin takes on Henry II, which is quite a contrast to the usual "wasn't he bad to goad those knights into killing Becket" and completely credible. She's an admirer of Henry's reforms to the legal system, and this novel does a great job of showing why. Death Maze/The Serpent's Tail is the sequel.

I'd love to see her write a novel in which Henry II was a major character, present throughout.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Historical Mystery”