Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Medieval underwear find

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Medieval underwear find

Post by EC2 » Tue July 17th, 2012, 5:13 pm

What fun - I am actually not surprised in the least. Now to get it back to the 12thc!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... s-ago.html
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 17th, 2012, 8:30 pm

I always assumed women would have something to keep cloths in place at least once a month. And if they didn't have anything, about one woman in three would have invented it out of sheer necessity, so she could get something done.
In that masterpiece of pastoral improbability, the Red Tent (written by an urbanite, I note) the author had a whole theoretical culture of women who spent one-fifth of the month sitting around on straw. :rolleyes: :eek:

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed July 18th, 2012, 12:53 am

Well it does date back to Ancient Rome, and I would think pretty much as long as we've had hairless bodies designed in the same general configuration, and an interest in covering them. http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/2012/07 ... ckers.html :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed July 18th, 2012, 2:28 am

[quote=""MLE""]I always assumed women would have something to keep cloths in place at least once a month. And if they didn't have anything, about one woman in three would have invented it out of sheer necessity, so she could get something done.
In that masterpiece of pastoral improbability, the Red Tent (written by an urbanite, I note) the author had a whole theoretical culture of women who spent one-fifth of the month sitting around on straw. :rolleyes: :eek: [/quote]

There are just SOME places you do not want straw sticking to. :eek:

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed July 18th, 2012, 2:42 am

I bet the owner of those garments never would have guessed people would be discussing her unmentionables centuries later. Now comes the task of deciding what to call them in HF novels. Fitted quarter chemise, anyone?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed July 18th, 2012, 6:01 am

[quote=""lauragill""]There are just SOME places you do not want straw sticking to. :eek: [/quote]

LOL. where's the like button. ;)

Seriously though the article is so fascinating. I read somewhere that women would let the blood run down their legs during that special time of the month. I thought eh, seriously? Why would anyone do that.

I think we just dont give our ancestors enough credit. They were smart, and clever when it came to certain things. And I agree with MLE some woman at some point would have said, enough is enough I got things to do here.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed July 18th, 2012, 8:14 am

Very revealing article! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed July 18th, 2012, 9:58 am

It's a pity they didn't post pictures of what else they found - I'd have liked to seen the 'shirts with bags' hehe :D

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu July 19th, 2012, 10:48 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Very revealing article! :D [/quote]

*Groan!*

Heh.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon July 23rd, 2012, 4:37 am

[quote=""MLE""]I always assumed women would have something to keep cloths in place at least once a month. And if they didn't have anything, about one woman in three would have invented it out of sheer necessity, so she could get something done.
In that masterpiece of pastoral improbability, the Red Tent (written by an urbanite, I note) the author had a whole theoretical culture of women who spent one-fifth of the month sitting around on straw. :rolleyes: :eek: [/quote]

I've got that book but haven't read it yet. They sit around on straw? Okkkk :rolleyes: I always thought they'd have to invent something to wear just from a practical point of view...I wonder if I will roll my eyes once I do start the book :p .

Loved the pic of Roman underwear. Interesting article.

Bec :)

Return to “History in the News”