Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Michael Wood's The Story of England

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri July 6th, 2012, 5:08 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Oh yes, he was quite the heart-throb in the mid 1980s :) [/quote]

Those jeans he wore for In Search of the Trojan War were TIGHT! :D

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat July 7th, 2012, 6:36 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I saw him on the Tube a year or so ago and said excitedly to the friend I was with: "Oh look, that's Michael Wood!". She, not being a history buff, had no idea who I was talking about and looked decidedly uninterested...[/quote]

I had a similar experience with Trevor Nunn recently but nobody I was with was into the theatre so it fell on deaf ears.

I watched his programme on The Tempest this week which was part of the Shakespeare season on the Beeb and very interesting. Although, I must say I watched most of it because I have been working very long hours recently and fell asleep before the end. I must go back and watch the end soon.

I must say I have enjoyed all the recent Shakespeare Uncovered season. I think I missed Jeremy Irons last night talking about Henry IV but luckily have recorded it. The final episode next week is David Tennant talking about Hamlet. Once that is over it will be a relief to give up watching TV again.
Last edited by SGM on Sat July 7th, 2012, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

marsh hen

Post by marsh hen » Sat July 7th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I live near an ancient site on the coast of Georgia, but would love to have one in my backyard. I too enjoyed the show.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat July 7th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Hmm-- I went to netflix to order the documentary and in the 'also' section, discovered he did the one on the Conquistadores my mother bought me for Christmas years ago. I can't comment on the Mexican portion, but the part on Peru absolutely stunk. He muddled about half the facts, and didn't even try to understand what had been going on in the Inca Empire before the Spaniards came. Which was much more important to Pizarro's conquest than anything he or his men did.

If it's fiction, I don't mind messing with the facts as long as they tell you afterwards and keep the story rolling. But if it's history, I do expect someone to do the basic research.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”