Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

67,000 Victorian Criminal Records Online

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

67,000 Victorian Criminal Records Online

Post by Rowan » Thu June 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm

I think it's cool that the concept of a visible profile of the individual was seen as being just as important back then as the full face shot. :D
You certainly wouldn't want to meet any of this lot up a dark 19th century alley.

Records of more than 67,000 Victorian criminals, detailing crimes ranging from petty theft and drunkenness to arson and murder, have been published online for the first time today.

The fascinating collection, released by Family history website Ancestry.co.uk also tells the stories of local peacemakers of the time, including jury candidates and members of the local militia.

And two of the archives - The Dorset, England Prison Admission and Discharge Registers 1782-1901 and Dorset, England, Calendar of Prisoners 1854-1904 - also include mug shots of 19th century convicts.

The records include the criminal's name, place and date of conviction, sentence, physical description and details of previous crimes.
Full story

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu June 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm

You might also find the Old Bailey site interesting. It's been up for years but I think they still keep adding to it. I haven't actually looked at it for a while but I was followig the Jack Sheppard entries for a while and went to a talk on him and Jonathan Wilde.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

J.D. Oswald
Reader

Voices from the Old Bailey

Post by J.D. Oswald » Mon June 18th, 2012, 7:48 pm

There was an interesting BBC Radio series recently which explored C18th life using dramatised accounts of Old Bailey court cases, for example men involved in the anti-Catholic Gordon riots. You can listen to the series at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012stwb

Return to “History in the News”