Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prohibition Era, Factual / Biographical -- Recommendations?

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu June 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm

Water for Elephants is a recent bestseller set in that era, which also includes a storyline involving a condition known as 'the Jake walk' from a certain patent medicine know as Jamaican Ginger.
Might come in handy if one of your character's options is jumping a circus train. It's also a pretty good read.

GangsterFiction
Scribbler

Post by GangsterFiction » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 2:14 pm

Thanks, that sounds like an interesting read--the circuses of that era often make a great setting for a good story.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 7:15 pm

[quote=""GangsterFiction""]Thanks, that sounds like an interesting read--the circuses of that era often make a great setting for a good story.[/quote]
One caveat I have to put in as an animal trainer: I had to work very hard to suspend disbelief on the lady who ran a liberty horse act. No matter how much a 'natural' you are with animals, it takes years, coached by people who have spent a lifetime at it, to get to a performance level. In real life, this kind of act runs in families, handed down from parent to child.

Plus the spouse with his bizarre actions, would never have been tolerated that long. Performance animals require a level of trust, or at the least, consistency. And elephants are justifiably famous for their long memory and ability to hold a grudge. Camels, too.

But most people won't have a problem with that part. Hope I didn't ruin it for you! :p

GangsterFiction
Scribbler

Post by GangsterFiction » Mon June 25th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Hehe. I'm sure I'll be adding a few more of my own to the list! I must admit, these days I do tend to read with a much more critical eye than I used to. ;)

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”