Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Warning on internet scams

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Warning on internet scams

Post by Misfit » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 2:27 pm

Thought I'd share this story from one of our local stations, along with a warning from the FTC on the same subject. I also heard this mentioned recently at a seminar I attended about fraud. The same group of Nigerian scammers (I'm sure some of you have seen those emails) are extremely active with this new method on ebay, Craig's list and other sites. One example mentioned was that these people would even respond to ads by college kids seeking a roommate send more money than needed and ask for the remainder to be wired back.

Note, once you've wired that money out of the country no one's going to be able to help you get it back for you -- it's gone.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 4:29 pm

We have been cleaning up a bit of mess on this scam, because several times my husband's name/address was on the bogus checks. After they had scammed several people, it was traced to a middleman in Santa Rosa (same name as my hubby) who was selling the scam to overseas people for a cut.

Some people (or in two cases, their parents and in one case of an elderly lady, he son) were wise enough to look up the phone number for the address and give us a call. One note, tho- the one thing they had in common was that they were asking way too much for their sale items to begin with, which might have signaled to the scammers that these people were either very naive or greedy enough to fall for their bait. I suspect college students looking for roommates fall into the same category.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 5:32 pm

My mom almost fell for a scam a few years ago, she want me to give her money so she could get this inheritance she supposedly was supposed to receive, she even exchanged a few emails with the person. When I finally found out I explained that that it was a scam and she was very embarrassed.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat October 4th, 2008, 1:40 am

People are trusting. I will confess I fell for it once. Way back in the day before all these warnings came out I thought ebay was trying to contact me. :o I was stupid. But then my wallet was lost so all the information was invalid anyway.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”