Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BBC2 Shakespeare adaptations

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

BBC2 Shakespeare adaptations

Post by Amanda » Sat June 2nd, 2012, 12:57 pm

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun June 3rd, 2012, 2:35 am

The pics look great and some good actors too. But I can't get the clips to work...It won't play in my area or some stupid thingy. I hope it is released onto DVD and I'll buy them from Amazon UK.

Bec :) PS: Thanks for the heads up Amanda. :)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun June 3rd, 2012, 3:34 am

Here you go rebecca....via youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N9-4vhYVU

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon June 4th, 2012, 1:31 am

[quote=""Amanda""]Here you go rebecca....via youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N9-4vhYVU[/quote]

Thanks Amanda :)

doesn't it look great and I have to admit how can Jeremy Irons act so well in this and yet be so terrible in 'The Borgia's?'.....And such a cast I spotted David Morrisey(SP?) and a wonderful new actor Tom Hiddleston. I will be buying the DVD :D Count on it.

Bec :)

Grainne

BBC Shakespeare

Post by Grainne » Sat June 16th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Hugely looking forward to these. Ben Wishart looks exactly right for Richard, and the clips I've seen of Tom Hiddlestone doing "Once more into the breach..." were very good, but will he be as good as Sir Kenneth (Kenneth Branagh was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.) I saw him play Henry V at Stratford, and he was absolutely wonderful. Probably my favourite actor, after Sir Ian McKellan. Not that I'm a fan of the honours system, it just so happened that both these gentlemen were singled out in this way.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat June 16th, 2012, 8:19 pm

I couldn't get the trailer to play either but looking at the actors and the costumes, it looks pretty legit. I'm excited! Thanks for sharing.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun June 17th, 2012, 2:22 am

I just wish they would do Marlowe's "Edward II". It's not as if they haven't done all the Shakespeare's before.

We really don't get enough of Shakespeare's contemporaries.

I am still waiting for them to do John Ford's " 'Tis Pity She's a Whore", a play which is rarely produced.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat June 23rd, 2012, 3:18 pm

I suspect this to be in keeping with the Shakespeare season on the BBC at the moment -- Simon Schama's Shakespeare. I watched the first episode which was mostly about Henry VI and Henry VI and the general setting in which Shakespeare was writing. I very much get the impression he doesn't think the works of Shakespeare were 'written by committee'.

SS was suitably OTT but it was a really enjoyable hour of fun.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

Joely Richardson on Shakespeare's women earlier in the week was also worthwhile even if it did limit itself to As You Like it and Twelfth Night. I have to confess to not really knowing As You Like It well but I am very fond of Twelfth Night. Naturally, it included lots of clips of her Mum in As You Like It.
Last edited by SGM on Sat June 23rd, 2012, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu July 26th, 2012, 4:49 pm

The trailer looked cool. Nothing will play here, sadly. Though there is the Youtube.

And is that Tom Hiddleston?
Last edited by Nefret on Thu July 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]The trailer looked cool. Nothing will play here, sadly. Though there is the Youtube.

And is that Tom Hiddleston?[/quote]

These have now all finished playing over here and have been very very good. In fact, they have been a huge step up from the those filmed for the complete series by the BBC decades ago. But the supporting programmes have also been excellent: Derek Jacobi on RII, David Tennant on Hamlet and Jeremy Irons on Henry IV. They also managed to show the Patrick Stewart Macbeth and the recent version of Julius Caesar and all on top of the Simon Schame duet on Shakespeare and his part in forming the national image (??)

As the productions of the plays was part funded by NBC, I am sure they will be finding their way around the world soon.

I would mention in passing that last year's Globe Theatre production of Henry IV parts I and II were filmed and will be available on DVD within a couple of days in the UK (and probably the US). These, too, look excellent, if rather different.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”