Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

King Arthur's Bones by The Medieval Murderers

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

King Arthur's Bones by The Medieval Murderers

Post by Rowan » Sun May 13th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Before you think I've gone mad and don't know how to tell who has written a book, let me assure you that The Medieval Murderers are real. They are, in fact, a collection of five authors who all pen historical mysteries set during the Medieval Period. They are Bernard Knight, Ian Morson, Michael Jecks, Philip Gooden and Susanna Gregory. I discovered the group after finding Susanna Gregory's series of historical mysteries.

They have written five books together and King Arthur's Bones is the first one I picked up at the library. It caught my eye because I love anything written about King Arthur. The book itself is a compilation of five novellas written by each author, flanked by a prologue and an epilogue written by one of them. The story begins, in the prologue, with the discovery of what is alleged to have been the burial site of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere on the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey in 1191. (As a side note, I saw the very spot that's marked on the grounds when I visited Glastonbury Abbey in 2010.) The stories which follow span 813 years as the bones are initially smuggled out of England by a group of Welshmen who call themselves the Guardians and the task of keeping the bones safe and, more importantly, in Wales for the day legend says will come when King Arthur will rise from his slumber to aide Britain in its greatest hour of need.

This was the first book I've ever read by multiple authors and I enjoyed it so much that I've decided to read all of the others written. Having said that, though, the epilogue was a bit of a stretch for me as was the story which involved William Shakespeare and his youngest brother Edmund Shakespeare. Overall, though, it was an enjoyable read.

4/5 stars
Last edited by Rowan on Mon May 28th, 2012, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun May 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm

I've seen some of those names around, been meaning to try some books by them but of course there's already so much on my to-read list.

I'm not big on short stories though.

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”