Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ariana Franklin

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Ariana Franklin

Post by Margaret » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 11:04 pm

I just finished reading Mistress of the Art of Death, the first novel in Ariana Franklin's "Adelia Aguilar" mystery series. It's set in Henry II's England (Cambridge in 1171 to be exact), but the main character is from Salerno, Italy, which at the time was ruled by the King of Sicily and reflected Sicily's tolerant, multi-cultural flavor. I loved this novel! (My review is at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Mistre ... Death.html). It's part thoughtful literary novel, part thriller, part romance (starting somewhere in the middle), and of course, part mystery.

Ariana Franklin is a pen name of Diana Norman, whose 1980 novel Fitzempress' Law I've been dying to read ever since I saw Sarah Johnson's review of it (here). Alas, my library doesn't have it, and Amazon is listing it at over $300! Guess this will have to be an interlibrary loan project. But Mistress of the Art of Death deals with a similar theme: Henry II's reforms to the legal system, and does a bang-up job of showing why they were so important.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 12:45 am

There are reviews for this book here.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun October 19th, 2008, 5:58 am

Thanks, Lil - this site is getting so big, I can't keep up! There's a great discussion there. I especially enjoyed the links Annis provided on the medieval woman physician Trotula of Salerno and to EC's blog posts with excerpts from Trotula's writings. (Who knew weasel testicles could be so useful?)
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Historical Mystery”