Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Was Lauren Sylvan, now MLE

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
User avatar
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.
Location: California Bay Area

Was Lauren Sylvan, now MLE

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 26th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Re-introducing ourselves is a great idea. I guess I should write this for people who might just be joining and have not already read my previous posts!

I love history and historical fiction -- it's all I read, excepting recent research in the areas of relationships and sexual dysfunction. My husband and I are heavily involved in lay marriage counseling, mostly for Muslim couples. (No, I'm not Muslim, altho renaissance Islam and the Qur'an is a specialty of mine. I'm a raised-atheist-turned-Jesus-follower.) In my previous working life, I bred and trained llamas, took groups out on wilderness trips, ran a transition home for abused women and children, and designed houses. Somewhere in there I wrote a lot of grant applications. Still do. Gives me lots of practice blending fiction and fact with wishful thinking.

I have a large network of friends/family of many different faiths in undeveloped countries working with the poorest of the poor, which really helps me understand pre-industrial revolution realities. My current passion is stopping human trafficking and the global child sex trade. This tends to affect my opinion on what I read.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Tue August 26th, 2008, 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

User avatar
LCW
Compulsive Reader
Location: Southern California

Postby LCW » Tue August 26th, 2008, 6:11 pm

"MLE" wrote:Somewhere in there I wrote a lot of grant applications. Still do. Gives me lots of practice blending fiction and fact with wishful thinking.




Love that! It's so true! :D

User avatar
Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader
Location: Northern California

Postby Julianne Douglas » Tue August 26th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Hey, MLE, thanks for giving me the heads-up about the new site!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

User avatar
Melisende
Reader
Location: Australia

Postby Melisende » Thu August 28th, 2008, 11:59 pm

MLE - new name - new forum .....WELCOME ...
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Susan » Sat August 30th, 2008, 1:38 pm

"MLE" wrote:I bred and trained llamas
I saw llamas yesterday in New Jersey and I immediately thought of you. My husband and I were returning home from a day trip to Atlantic City. We always take the back roads because they are more interesting. In a small town in the Pine Barrens, we saw a group of fenced-in llamas. Obviously someone else is breeding llamas!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.
Location: California Bay Area

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 30th, 2008, 1:56 pm

"Susan" wrote:I saw llamas yesterday in New Jersey and I immediately thought of you. My husband and I were returning home from a day trip to Atlantic City. We always take the back roads because they are more interesting. In a small town in the Pine Barrens, we saw a group of fenced-in llamas. Obviously someone else is breeding llamas!

You ain't kidding! When we started back in '81, there were fewer than 7K llamas total in the US and Canada. In '86, when the tax shelter laws for horses were changed, about 30 million bucks came chasing maybe 15K llamas. for a decade there, they were breeding any female who had a leg at each corner (and some thre-legged ones as well!)

Now the registry estimates there are over 300K llamas, so the time has come to launch a YA HF book set in pre-Columbian Peru aimed squarely at the 50K or more llama and alpaca owners on my mailing list. I've been collecting my most hilarious training and trail vignettes to put in it for years.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Susan » Sat August 30th, 2008, 2:22 pm

"MLE" wrote:You ain't kidding! When we started back in '81, there were fewer than 7K llamas total in the US and Canada. In '86, when the tax shelter laws for horses were changed, about 30 million bucks came chasing maybe 15K llamas. for a decade there, they were breeding any female who had a leg at each corner (and some thre-legged ones as well!)

Now the registry estimates there are over 300K llamas, so the time has come to launch a YA HF book set in pre-Columbian Peru aimed squarely at the 50K or more llama and alpaca owners on my mailing list. I've been collecting my most hilarious training and trail vignettes to put in it for years.


Interesting! I wish I had my camera with me. I would have stopped by the side of the road and taken a photo.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Sat August 30th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Glad you're back MLE!


Return to “Introduce Yourself”