Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Same Book-Different Author?

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Same Book-Different Author?

Post by rebecca » Thu May 10th, 2012, 3:22 am

I just wondered why a book which I read last year is now being re-run with a different cover and different named author but it is the same book?

Secrets of the Tudor Court [Bargain Price] [Paperback]
D.L. Bogdan (Author)

Mary Howard, 1522
They tell me my father is a great man and I must be his pretty little lady. I must behave myself and stay clean. I wonder what it is to be a great man. I know that he is a favored servant of His Majesty King Henry VIII, and he is a very brave knight. I try to picture him. Is he tall? Is he handsome? I cannot remember. He is not home very much.......

Secrets of the Tudor Court [Paperback]
Darcey Bonnette (Author)

Mary Howard, 1522
They tell me my father is a great man and I must be his pretty little lady. I must behave myself and stay clean. I wonder what it is to be a great man. I know that he is a favored servant of His Majesty King Henry VIII, and he is a very brave knight. I try to picture him. Is he tall? Is he handsome? I cannot remember. He is not home very much.......

I find it a little bit confusing and anyone could make the mistake of thinking it an entirely new book which it isn't. Does anyone know why?

Bec :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu May 10th, 2012, 5:26 am

One edition is published by a US publisher, the other by a UK publisher. The UK publisher probably thought the "Darcey Bonnette" name had more shelf appeal. The same thing happened to Brandy Purdy, whose books are published under the name of Emily Purdy in the UK, presumably on the theory that "Brandy" sounded too American.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 10th, 2012, 8:16 am

Yes, it happens from time to time that the author is given different names in different markets. It normally involves changing the author's first name to initials in one market, rather than changing the surname as well, but it happens.
At least in this case, the title of the book stayed the same...

It can occasionally happen that both the author name and the title change.

Take Ruth Downie / R. S. Downie, for example.
Her latest book is called "Caveat Emptor" by Ruth Downie in North America, but "Ruso and the River of Darkness" by R.S. Downie in the UK. Pretty confusing, huh?

It can also happen with reissues of older books. If a book was already published under a pen name and the author subsequently became more successful under their real name (or under a different pen name) or vice versa, the reissue can be published under a different author name from that it originally appeared under.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 10th, 2012, 8:42 am

Yes they've also done it with one of Carol Goodman's books - last year's Incubus is now called Demon Lover, by Juliet Dark. I'm assuming they've done it to differentiate between the author's more literary work, whereas this one is Urban Fantasy.

I think all of Ruth Downie's books have been published in the US with different titles to the UK editions, likewise Gyles Brandreth's Oscar Wilde series, and some of the Italian crime books too, by Donna Leon and Christabel Kent.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu May 10th, 2012, 10:46 am

Anything with 'Darcy' on the cover immediately draws the masses of Austenites to pick the thing up, even if it has nothing to do with Mr Darcy. White-hot (or cynical?) marketing in action! Also 'Bogdan' as a surname in the UK for a romantic type of historical probably doesn't fly in terms of reader appeal - a bog being a latrine.
Last edited by EC2 on Thu May 10th, 2012, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 10th, 2012, 7:23 pm

I don't know why the publishers haven't awakened to the fact that word-of-mouth is now word-of-MOUSE. On the internet, there are no borders. By changing titles and author names, they are cutting their online throats, and wiping out all the positive readership the book has garnered elsewhere. At least across the English-language readership, titles should remain static.

Which only proves what we already knew, that publishers are stuck somewhere in the middle of the last century.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Thu May 10th, 2012, 8:47 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I don't know why the publishers haven't awakened to the fact that word-of-mouth is now word-of-MOUSE. On the internet, there are no borders. By changing titles and author names, they are cutting their online throats, and wiping out all the positive readership the book has garnered elsewhere. At least across the English-language readership, titles should remain static.

Which only proves what we already knew, that publishers are stuck somewhere in the middle of the last century.[/quote]

This is exactly right. I almost considered publishing my fiction books under a pseudonym, but I decided against it because I have built some name recognition under my real name for my non-fiction work.

Listening to problems authors had getting their loyal readers to follow them across a name change convinced me not to do it.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri May 11th, 2012, 2:48 am

Take Ruth Downie / R. S. Downie, for example.
Her latest book is called "Caveat Emptor" by Ruth Downie in North America, but "Ruso and the River of Darkness" by R.S. Downie in the UK. Pretty confusing, huh?

Yes they've also done it with one of Carol Goodman's books - last year's Incubus is now called Demon Lover, by Juliet Dark.

'Darcy'....'Bogdan'

In some cases it can be confusing but in others it is downright misleading. I don't know why publishers would do this, in that I am sure many readers would be downright ticked off if they discover they have bought the same book twice! Thanks everyone for clearing it up.

Bec :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri May 11th, 2012, 2:28 pm

The publishers don't do themselves any favors by swapping names like this. It just irritates readers when they find they've bought the same book over again. In the case of the Brandy/Emily Purdy book, Amazon UK was at one time promoting purchase of the two together. I believe they've stopped that, but to encourage you to put both in your basket was beyond the pale.

Bec, Goodreads is generally a good place to check something like that out. There are plenty of volunteer librarians with the power to combine books like these. Trying to get Amazon to combine them is darn near impossible.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat May 12th, 2012, 4:53 am

[quote=""Misfit""] Trying to get Amazon to combine them is darn near impossible.[/quote]

And Kindle editioning adds an extra layer of silly too. I wish they were obliged to give the publication date of the original real book they have made the digital version from to assist you in figuring out if it is something you have already read (or worse bought). Even better would be if they were obliged to use the original ISBN with an "e" at the end. But I suspect they will continue to do this until the law catches up with them.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”