Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crusade by Robyn Young

Village
Scribbler

Crusade by Robyn Young

Post by Village » Wed May 9th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Uh! I feel like I've fought the crusades having waded through part 2 of Robin Young's Templar trilogy and not in a good way. The first book was overly long but at least had an impetus to it, the second is pure quicksand and the several good ideas that it contains get horribly bogged down and drowned by waffle.

The plot follows Will Campbell in Acre as he and his secret society within the Templars struggle to keep the peace and Sultan Baybars in Cairo as he ums and ahs about whether to wipe the Christians or Mongols off the map first. There is ample ingredients here for a great book, several great books in fact and that is the central problem. In attempting to encompass so many people, years and events into a single book Ms Young fails to do any of them justice. What this book needed was an editor who could ruthlessly chop away the deadwood and let the good beneath flower.

Minor spoiler ahead:
I'm afraid I will not be joining the Anima Templa on their third instalment.
Last edited by Village on Wed May 9th, 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon May 28th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I always feel like I expect less from a book than most people here. I enjoyed both books in the series, but haven't ever gotten around to seeking out the third.

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”