Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carnyx

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 18th, 2012, 6:40 am

Some years ago I read a time-slip novel by Kiwi author Elenor Gill called Miriam's Talisman, where the modern-day heroine becomes caught up in events which took place in ancient Ireland. The heroine (who lives on her own) is haunted by the phantom sound of a carnyx at night - very creepy :)

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:18 pm

[quote=""annis""]Some years ago I read a time-slip novel by Kiwi author Elenor Gill called Miriam's Talisman, where the modern-day heroine becomes caught up in events which took place in ancient Ireland. The heroine (who lives on her own) is haunted by the phantom sound of a carnyx at night - very creepy :) [/quote]

Whoa. That sounds cool. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon June 25th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Hey the carnyx made an appearance in Disney's Brave! I was so excited to see it.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 25th, 2012, 4:13 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Hey the carnyx made an appearance in Disney's Brave! I was so excited to see it.[/quote]
I saw that too, and thought, 'Hey, thanks to Alisha, I know what that is!'

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon June 25th, 2012, 7:25 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Hey the carnyx made an appearance in Disney's Brave! I was so excited to see it.[/quote]

Beat me to it! Saw the movie Saturday night and was going to comment on it today. Wonder where they got the audio?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue June 26th, 2012, 1:26 am

[quote=""MLE""]I saw that too, and thought, 'Hey, thanks to Alisha, I know what that is!'[/quote]

Glad I could enrich your Disney experience. ;)

FLJustice, I don't know where the audio came from...have to find out. And I think I might have to include a carnyx in my next ms.

I'm thinking: teen goes to Edinburgh for a summer internship at her dad's gum company to do some delicious and weird R&D, her dad finds a carnyx on a slice of property he owns, when she touches the object she sees the past--her spirit rides on the shoulder of the dude who was in charge of blowing the instrument??? Just brainstorming here. Indiana Jones meets The Apothecary? Okay, I'll shut up now.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue June 26th, 2012, 2:52 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I'm thinking: teen goes to Edinburgh for a summer internship at her dad's gum company to do some delicious and weird R&D, her dad finds a carnyx on a slice of property he owns, when she touches the object she sees the past--her spirit rides on the shoulder of the dude who was in charge of blowing the instrument??? Just brainstorming here. Indiana Jones meets The Apothecary? Okay, I'll shut up now.[/quote]

Sounds great! I have a carnyx in my current WIP (several chapters set during the Boudica rebellion,) but didn't have much detail on what it looked and sounded like. That's changed!

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat June 30th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Well FL if you need a beta anytime soon--I'd love to read it. I've learned a great deal about craft since my last ms. : )

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun July 1st, 2012, 3:31 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Well FL if you need a beta anytime soon--I'd love to read it. I've learned a great deal about craft since my last ms. : )[/quote]

Thanks, Alisha! I'll PM you.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 27th, 2012, 1:23 pm

There was a mass bell-ringing across the UK this morning (tho I didn't hear any!) to herald the start of the Olympics, and in Berwick on Tweed John Kenny walked through the streets playing his carnyx - yayy! Story on the BBC's website, with a lovely pic of the instrument.
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel

Return to “Questions and Research”