Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 14th, 2012, 9:01 am

[quote=""Susan""]As I've been reading this, I've been thinking it could make a good film. Just found out that this will be a film released this year. It has a pretty good cast too. The setting has been changed from London to New York.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985094/[/quote]

That is a good cast. I read an extract from this book in a book mag a couple of years ago and thought it was good fun, I think the New York setting will work well.
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue May 15th, 2012, 2:39 am

[quote=""Brenna""]I'm back to reading Wolf Hall; I don't find it as amazing as others. The different points of view get a bit confusing. Of course, I went on a book binge this weekend- a bargain book on the Windsors, the new Sherry Jones, and Kate Quinn book. I certainly didn't need them, but they were there...how could I resist?[/quote]

I found Wolf Hall very confusing as the author seemed to jump from one personalty to the other leaving me thinking...'Well I thought that was Cromwell thinking....No it's Wolsey..No it must be Thomas More....No it's just plain confusing!...Hilary has been very original, but I simply don't like the 'style' of it. But I will be reading it soon.

Right now I'm halfway through a bio on the Queen Mum by Lady Colin Campbell, it's interesting but some of her theories are a little absurd...But it makes a change to read a bio where the Queen Mum isn't portrayed as the sugar plum fairy.

Bec :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Just finished Jeffrey Lent's Lost Nation, set in the 1830s, borderland of Indian Stream between New Hampshire and Canada. A raw, gritty depiction of frontier life, but very powerful.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Tue May 15th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Taking a break from Nevil Shute. At the urging of my dear pal who was thrilled to find the books in digital format (he had a set that belonged to his own father), I downloaded the eBook version of the AIR SERVICE BOYS series. It's sort of along the lines of the Hardy Boys fly with the Lafayette Escadrille. However, what's interesting to me is that the series was written in 1919-1922. The use of language, the concept of France as our greatest friend (Great Britain is mentioned only in passing although given credit as an ally of France), the view that the German spies and army that sinks helpless civilian ships and bombs cities are true barbarians, makes an interesting read nearly 100 years later. It's definitely enjoyable, however, as it also gives a little insight to boy stories of that generation.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue May 15th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I've recently started Half of the Human Race by Anthony Quinn. Pretty good so far.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue May 15th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Nearly finished reading The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen - excellent. (courtesy of Amazon Vine). About a black woman who helped pass information from South to North during the American Civil War. I just wonder though, if any black writers have covered this subject. Seems to me that the promoted novels recently about issues of slavery and racial prejudice are being written by middle class white women? I know that a writers' imagination is their greatest tool, but I think it's interesting to see this phenomenon.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 15th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Posted by Ludmilla
Just finished Jeffrey Lent's Lost Nation, set in the 1830s, borderland of Indian Stream between New Hampshire and Canada. A raw, gritty depiction of frontier life, but very powerful.
I read this some years ago and it made a vivid impression on me. It's one of those unforgettable stories that come along and knock you over the head, written with such power, so unremittingly harsh and bleak - as you say, raw.
Last edited by annis on Tue May 15th, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 15th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Annis, you can imagine my panic attack last night when I got near the end of the ebook on my Kindle and the file became corrupted and I couldn't read anymore of it (in the middle of Blood's confession to his sons no less!). I had to know how it all ended. Luckily, I was able to read the rest of it on my iPhone this morning. This is the first time I've had an issue with a corrupted file on my Kindle. (Instructions say to delete from device and re-download, but I think this only works if I delete from my other devices that are synced with the Kindle.)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 15th, 2012, 9:39 pm

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue May 15th, 2012, 10:35 pm

The Courtesan's Lover by Gabrielle Kimm

Return to “General Discussion”