Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 9th, 2012, 3:34 pm

I shall be starting The Scent of Lemon Leaves by Clara Sanchez a little later on. It's an advance reading copy.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed May 9th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Planet Quest- The Epic Discovery of Alien Solar Systems by Ken Croswell
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed May 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Have just started Railroad Schemes by Cecelia Holland. This and Lily Nevada have been Kindlized in one ebook for the bargain price of $2.99. Yay!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed May 9th, 2012, 5:09 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Have just started Railroad Schemes by Cecelia Holland. This and Lily Nevada have been Kindlized in one ebook for the bargain price of $2.99. Yay![/quote]
Thanks for the tip -- I need to get these.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat May 12th, 2012, 1:51 am

Posted by emr
Originally Posted by annis
Hurray, scored Slash and Burn, the latest in Colin Cotterill's Dr Siri series, before anyone else at the library spotted it. I'm sure I've raved on about these before. Not quite HF, (though getting scarily close to the 50 year mark) Colin Cotterill's wonderfully out there, quirky set of mysteries are set in Communist Laos in the mid-1970s. The main character is an elderly doctor appointed State Coroner due to lack of anyone else remotely suitable. (They've all hopped it over the Mekhong to capitalist Thailand). Dr Siri is an ornery old cuss who doesn't suffer politburo fools gladly, but is sharp as a tack, compassionate and possessed of a hilarious, dry sense of humour. Oh, and he is visited in his dreams by his "patients", who provide him with cryptic clues about their deaths. Fabulous stuff.

Big thanks for the recommendation annis. This is lots of fun Reading now book #2 Thirty-Three Teeth. ("Did I mention I have thirty-three teeth?" omg looool)
Glad you're enjoying these, emr! I love the way crafty old Siri runs rings around his politburo bosses, making them look like total idiots. They're hamstrung by the fact that Siri is a Hero of the Revolution, so they can't bundle him off for "re-education" or a convenient "disappearance". The secondary characters are wonderful as well.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat May 12th, 2012, 6:34 am

[quote=""annis""]Glad you're enjoying these, emr! I love the way crafty old Siri runs rings around his politburo bosses, making them look like total idiots. They're hamstrung by the fact that Siri is a Hero of the Revolution, so they can't bundle him off for "re-education" or a convenient "disappearance". The secondary characters are wonderful as well.[/quote]

I'm here waiting impatiently for the mail to bring me book 3 hehe
There is this series Walt Longmire by Craig Johnson. It has some great characters as well, sense of humor and a bit of supernatural. The first book Cold Dish was very good. Second book didn't take that much advantage of the ghosts part but it's still good. Waiting for book 3 as well. These are set in Wyoming, no year stated and I find that a bit annoying but my guess is middle 90s.

Currently reading Plague Child by Peter Ransley.
Last edited by emr on Sat May 12th, 2012, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 13th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips, some Greek mythology fluff about the Greek gods living in present-day London. I know it will be more entertaining than my last read!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 13th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Finished off two major snoozers this weekend, Dragon and the Rose by Roberta Gellis and Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende (seriously, paragraph taking up two pages??). I'm juggling piles right now deciding what to try next. The books I most want to read were acquired in 2012 and don't qualify for the Mt. TBR Challenge, so I'm trying to stay on the right path.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun May 13th, 2012, 9:22 pm

I'm back to reading Wolf Hall; I don't find it as amazing as others. The different points of view get a bit confusing. Of course, I went on a book binge this weekend- a bargain book on the Windsors, the new Sherry Jones, and Kate Quinn book. I certainly didn't need them, but they were there...how could I resist?
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 13th, 2012, 11:17 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips, some Greek mythology fluff about the Greek gods living in present-day London. I know it will be more entertaining than my last read![/quote]

As I've been reading this, I've been thinking it could make a good film. Just found out that this will be a film released this year. It has a pretty good cast too. The setting has been changed from London to New York.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985094/
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “General Discussion”