Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Edinburgh Questions

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Edinburgh Questions

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri April 20th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Okay so my trip is now set for Edinburgh for this summer. Woo hoo! I'm going to spend a day in York as well.

Question: anyone know of a good place to eat/have a drink in either of those cities?

Thanks in advance!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri April 20th, 2012, 7:53 pm

I'm told there's an Indian restaurant on the Royal Mile where you can get vegetarian haggis. :D

In Scotland, I learned that 'gammon steak' is another name for a slice of ham.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat April 21st, 2012, 6:42 am

I would have thought that members who live in Yorkshire of nearby counties would be able to give the most up-to-date information on York. My only memory of eating there was on day out to visit the Railway Museum and having lunch at the Terry's restaurant a long long time ago. I suspect that restaurant has long gone now that Terry's has been taken over by Kraft and production moved to other locations (not in the UK).

I can't remember the names of any restaurants in Edinburgh but I would think it would be a good idea to stick to local fare. Scotland is particularly noted for the quality of its fish and, of course, its haggis. But haggis is an acquired taste (and one that I have acquired). Vegetarian haggis sounds a bit like an oxymoron to me but what do I know?

If you ever make it to Skye, I can really recommend an excellent restaurant overlooking the Cuillins. The quality of the light there (when the mists haven't fallen) adds to an absolutey spectacular view. I would emigrate there like a shot if I didn't have to work.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat April 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I'm told there's an Indian restaurant on the Royal Mile where you can get vegetarian haggis. :D

In Scotland, I learned that 'gammon steak' is another name for a slice of ham.[/quote]

Down here in the south a gammon steak is just that, a sort of ham steak usually about 1/2 an inch thick.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat April 21st, 2012, 7:49 pm

Yeah, I thought gammon and ham were slightly different somehow - different curing or something.

Anyway, I've only been to Edinburgh and York once each. York was only a day trip so I don't remember eating there. Edinburgh is amazing but it's been a while so I don't recall where we ate except this pub - Royal McGregor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... tland.html
Small place but great food.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat April 21st, 2012, 8:46 pm

Ham and gammon are preserved differently.

I've always thought that gammon steaks were thus called because they are thicker than slices of ham, and more like a steak.

Anyway, we would not use the term slice of ham and gammon steak interchangably, here at least. But then others might mean something different when they say a slice of ham than we do here -- so who knows?
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sat April 21st, 2012, 8:51 pm

[quote=""SGM""] Vegetarian haggis sounds a bit like an oxymoron to me but what do I know?[/quote]

As a vegetarian Scot, I quite agree :D
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 2:53 pm

Just found out that one of my favorite places in York is still there - Betty's Tea Rooms! Its a bit fancy and pricey but well worth it. Great tea and great food! Try to sit by the big picture window for great people watching opportunities in old town York.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2 ... oms_york-i

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 5:34 pm

There was an article about Betty's in the paper today, their business is booming and they've just been voted the best place in Britain to have afternoon tea.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon April 23rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Thank you all! Not sure about haggis--I promise to try it, though. Betty's sounds great as does the Royal McGregor.

Interesting about the gammon/ham thing. Love that kind of cultural tidbit.

I know I'll be getting some fish along the way. We love seafood!

Any suggestions on when to visit Stirling Castle and/or Holyroodhouse?

Return to “Travel”