Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince by Rosanne Lortz

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince by Rosanne Lortz

Post by Rowan » Wed April 18th, 2012, 6:38 pm

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, my mother has gotten into doing the family genealogy - at least on her side of the family. A cousin of mine living in North Carolina has made a few trips to England in search of information and has apparently managed to trace one branch of ye olde tree to Edward the Black Prince. Being a lover of historical fiction, I decided to search for any available HF about the Black Prince. Unfortunately, I found only one, this book. I snagged it for my Kindle since it was only $2.99. Considering I know little of this man, I felt it to be a worthy investment.

The story is told, as most historical fiction is, from the point of view of someone close to the subject of the novel. In this case, it is told by a friend and companion of Edward, Sir John Potenhale, as he is relating his story to the widow of someone Potenhale considered a friend and mentor. The story opens with Sir John seeking out the widow in the village where she lives so that he may deliver a gift to her and when she asks him to tell her his story, he begins with the day he became a knight. As the story unfolds, we see a poor young man who is a squire become a knight and trusted companion to the Prince of Wales. He accompanies the prince and king on forays into France in an effort to retake what Edward III believes belongs rightfully to him. The book closes with Edward Woodstock on the verge of marrying his cousin Joan of Kent.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed April 18th, 2012, 7:19 pm

But was the story engagingly told? I have this on my Kindle, and I keep looking at it, but so far haven't gotten beyond the first couple pages.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 4:43 pm

I enjoyed it. The first few pages are kinda boring because he's just looking for this woman, but once he finds her and starts telling his tale, I thought it was engaging enough. Then again, my standards are pretty low.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 9:55 pm

I just got this for free for my Kindle (Thanks, Misfit) and I think I may read it when I am done with my current book. Just so we can put somewhat of a face on Edward, the Black Prince, here's a photo I took of his tomb when I visited Canterbury Cathedral.

~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 10:48 pm

I suppose part of what is holding me back is knowing that he ordered the massacre of every man, woman and child in Limoges -- excepting the few rich enough to buy him off. It was a shocking act even by the standards of the day.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 11:31 pm

I've heard mixed opinions (one friend didn't finish). I picked it up earlier this week on the freebie sale (you are welcome Susan), but have no idea when I'm getting to it. I'm just not in a medieval mood at the moment. Although I wouldn't turn down a new Chadwick or Penman...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon May 7th, 2012, 5:29 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I suppose part of what is holding me back is knowing that he ordered the massacre of every man, woman and child in Limoges -- excepting the few rich enough to buy him off. It was a shocking act even by the standards of the day.[/quote]

Okay this takes place during a very short period of Edward's life, many years before that happened. Probably written this way to avoid any of the bad parts of his life?

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Wed May 9th, 2012, 3:15 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I suppose part of what is holding me back is knowing that he ordered the massacre of every man, woman and child in Limoges -- excepting the few rich enough to buy him off. It was a shocking act even by the standards of the day.[/quote]

Well, you don't get the sobriquet "Black Prince" without doing some naughty stuff I suppose.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed May 9th, 2012, 5:31 pm

[quote=""The Czar""]Well, you don't get the sobriquet "Black Prince" without doing some naughty stuff I suppose.[/quote]

Except I think he got it from black armor he supposedly wore.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed May 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm

He was not called the Black Prince in his lifetime. He was called Edward of Woodstock (after where he was born) or one of his titles, such Prince of Wales. Black Prince was first used in a couple of histories written more than 150 years after his death and Shakespeare used it in two of his plays. I'd bet it was the Shakespeare plays that made it a common sobriquet for Edward. There are theories as to where Black Prince came from as already mentioned, his armor or shield, or his reputation, but they are only theories.

Edward's shield below does have a black field and the three ostrich feathers and the motto "Ich dien" ("I serve" in German) have been used by all subsequent Princes of Wales.

Last edited by Susan on Wed May 9th, 2012, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”