Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu April 19th, 2012, 6:51 pm

The Last Paladin by Kathleen Bryan (pseudonym for Judith Tarr)
Final installment in her fantasy trilogy

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sat April 21st, 2012, 8:56 pm

Half-way through The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak and I love it so far!!! Catherine the Great is someone I know very little about, so I'm not sure how accurate a portrayal this is, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt at the moment :)
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat April 21st, 2012, 10:52 pm

Finished Imagine and nearly finished with The Sekhmet Bed by Lavender Ironside.
Last edited by fljustice on Mon April 23rd, 2012, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 2:34 am

Hurray, scored Slash and Burn, the latest in Colin Cotterill's Dr Siri series, before anyone else at the library spotted it. I'm sure I've raved on about these before. Not quite HF, (though getting scarily close to the 50 year mark) Colin Cotterill's wonderfully out there, quirky set of mysteries are set in Communist Laos in the mid-1970s. The main character is an elderly doctor appointed State Coroner due to lack of anyone else remotely suitable. (They've all hopped it over the Mekhong to capitalist Thailand). Dr Siri is an ornery old cuss who doesn't suffer politburo fools gladly, but is sharp as a tack, compassionate and possessed of a hilarious, dry sense of humour. Oh, and he is visited in his dreams by his "patients", who provide him with cryptic clues about their deaths. Fabulous stuff.

I do have a taste for mysteries in this style - Fred Vargas, Kate Atkinson and so on...

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 10:51 am

Just finished The Lavender Keeper (World War Two novel) and The Sunne in Splendour. Have now started on Within The Fetterlock

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 11:55 am

[quote=""annis""] Dr Siri is an ornery old cuss who doesn't suffer politburo fools gladly, but is sharp as a tack, compassionate and possessed of a hilarious, dry sense of humour. Oh, and he is visited in his dreams by his "patients", who provide him with cryptic clues about their deaths. Fabulous stuff.[/quote]

Sold! :D :D oh my as if I din't have enough books around... :o
I'm now hooked with Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries (I love the mix of drama and mystery) but I need to space them so I'm reading now Booked To Die by John Dunning, contemporary mystery.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 12:56 pm

I just finished Jane Austen's Emma.

Now onto The Maid and the Queen by Nancy Goldstone. Joan of Arc and Yolande of Aragon - thanks to Netgalley.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 1:45 pm

I've just finished Offshore by Penelope Fitzgerald which took no time at all to read. Not sure why it got a Booker prize! Very odd ending and I found it quite disjointed all round. Lots of reading inbetween the lines.

I'm just about to start Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 2:36 pm

Princess, I just started Catherine the Great, the Robert Massie bio. I may read what you are reading next, could be interesting.

Also reading Gone With the Wind for a book group. I haven't read this in about 30 years, loved it at the time (this was before I saw the movie) Given what I now know about the time place and author, I assume my perspective will be quite different.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun April 22nd, 2012, 3:09 pm

After having gone through a reading slump, now feeling that I'm getting a bit back on track with If Walls Could Talk by Lucy Worsley, a nonfiction book about the history of the rooms of our homes. Full of nice little tidbits about the what we use everyday.

Return to “General Discussion”