Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Margaret Campbell Barnes wrote one, it has Hollow Crown in the title, but I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
[/quote]

It's called Within the Hollow Crown, a snippet from a speech in Shakespeare's Richard II. Once again, I have an ancient copy--it has one of those beautiful old pastiche-painting covers, mostly green. On the front it's described as "The passionate story of Richard II and Anne of Bohemia, in the rich and rowdy Middle Ages." Rich and rowdy--love it.

I haven't read it for a million years, and don't remember much about it, but I like MCB in general. Her stuff may seem a little dense and slow to modern tastes--Hollow Crown was originally published in 1947. Now that I've dug it out I'm going to have to read it again! :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 1:33 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]The Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas[/quote]

My copy should be arriving in the mail today! YAHOO!

[quote=""Susan""]By Fire, By Water by Mitchell Kaplan, should finish this tonight (If I can stay awake!) or tomorrow.[/quote]

I started this but put it aside when I purchased other books. I'll get back to it eventually.

[quote=""SCW""]My birthday is coming up so I'm going to buy and read Lionheart by Sharon Penman, Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick, London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins and Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

Can anyone recommend any HF about Richard the Second of England, Henry Bolingbroke or John of Gaunt. (I've just finished Katherine by Anya Seton and I would like to read more about this period in English history)[/quote]

Within the Hollow Crown wasn't bad but it certainly plays up the "Shakespeare" version of events. Brian Wainwright's Within the Fetterlock is still one of my all time favorites, so this should go on your list IMHO.

If you would like more of a focus on Henry IV and Henry V told from different perspectives, check out Edith Parageter's The Bloody Field at Shrewsbury and Diana Giardina's Good King Harry
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 2:29 pm

Brian Wainwright's Within the Fetterlock is still one of my all time favorites, so this should go on your list IMHO.
I wish he'd get that out on Kindle/Nook. I mentioned it to a couple of friends at GR, but the price of the dead tree version was a bit intimidating - books being so much more expensive in OZ.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 3:31 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I wish he'd get that out on Kindle/Nook. I mentioned it to a couple of friends at GR, but the price of the dead tree version was a bit intimidating - books being so much more expensive in OZ.[/quote]

Don't know how much power he has over that...I got mine at a very decent price a couple of years ago but I don't know if it is going out of print or what..hard to know.
Brenna

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 6:12 pm

Henry Bolingbroke appears in Edith Pargeter's Bloody Field at Shrewsbury, along with Henry V. Martha Rofheart's Cry God for Harry aka Fortune Made his Sword is about Henry V - MR was pinged for plagiarism in this novel - she "borrowed" from John Cowper Powys's Owen Glendower( (amongst others). HV also pops up in Bernard Cornwell's Agincourt.

I have a book about Richard II, Anne of Bohemia and the Peasant's Revolt by Jane Lane called A Summer Storm, sympathetic and rather romanticised but readable - I think it was probably written for younger readers.

RII also appears in Martyn Whittock's The Dice in Flight, another novel about the Peasant's Revolt, Jennifer Lang's The Crowning City and Carol Wensby-Scott's Lion of Alnwick, where he's a rather unpleasant character- his uncles John and Thomas also feature in LOA.

John of Gaunt is a major character in Georgette Heyer's My Lord John, which is about John of Lancaster, John of Gaunt's grandson.
Last edited by annis on Wed April 4th, 2012, 2:32 am, edited 11 times in total.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 11:58 pm

[quote=""Elizabeth""]It's called Within the Hollow Crown, a snippet from a speech in Shakespeare's Richard II. Once again, I have an ancient copy--it has one of those beautiful old pastiche-painting covers, mostly green. On the front it's described as "The passionate story of Richard II and Anne of Bohemia, in the rich and rowdy Middle Ages." Rich and rowdy--love it.

I haven't read it for a million years, and don't remember much about it, but I like MCB in general. Her stuff may seem a little dense and slow to modern tastes--Hollow Crown was originally published in 1947. Now that I've dug it out I'm going to have to read it again! :) [/quote]

I read this last year and enjoyed it. It begins with Richard as a young teen at a funeral memorial Mass. The peasant's revolt is covered. Anne of Bohemia appears in the 2nd part. Part 3 is Richard's 2nd marriage to French Princess Isabella and his gradual decline.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed April 4th, 2012, 12:07 am

Starting Mariana by Susana Kearsley tonight.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed April 4th, 2012, 8:51 am

I've just started The Hollow by Nora Roberts - sort of UF.
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed April 4th, 2012, 10:25 am

Just deciding. I've dumped my last two book as DNF's. :(
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Still working on Hillary's Choice by Gail Sheehy and enjoying it. Just started an early reviewer ebook Last and First Contacts a collection of SF short fiction by Stephen Baxter.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “General Discussion”