Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Formatting and ereaders with regards to email downloads

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Formatting and ereaders with regards to email downloads

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu March 15th, 2012, 2:43 am

I want to send my wip to a friend. She wants to download it onto her kindle. Will my formatting be whacked if I send it as a pdf? Is there a better way to do it?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu March 15th, 2012, 3:21 am

Don't know if a Kindle can open a PDF. Somebody with a Kindle want to weigh in on this?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 15th, 2012, 3:45 am

Kindle does come with a built-in PDF reader, and claims to display most PDF documents without losing the formatting of the original file, but I haven't actually tried it out as yet :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu March 15th, 2012, 9:17 am

Kindle does support PDF but since the text is not fluid and the Kindle screen is small, it's usually impossible to read without zooming in and scrolling around. Generally, most people feel PDF's aren't ideal on Kindle unless maybe you have the DX which has a bigger screen. You can convert PDFs to something with fluid text though.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Thu March 15th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I tried a pdf on my Kindle once. Not a good result.

One possibility might be to just upload through Smashwords which will do the Kindle format through the "meat grinder" process. Then, you can just forward it to your friend. This has an advantage in that it also creates a lot of other formats (html, pdf, ePub, etc.).

You don't have to publish and I know several folks who use the Smashwords process for final drafts (to get an idea of how their books look formatted as well as to spot errors that don't always show up in manuscript). Once formatted, you can keep it hidden or unpublished so it doesn't get distributed by mistake.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu March 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Thanks, Annis, LoveHistory, Mythica, and BevGray. I think I'll try out that Smashwords process.

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Thu March 15th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Another solution you might want to look at is using Calibre converter software (available as a free download here). Calibre will convert pdfs into several ebook formats, like epub and mobi, though you might get a few formatting glitches in the process.
Last edited by Justin Swanton on Thu March 15th, 2012, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 15th, 2012, 3:45 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Don't know if a Kindle can open a PDF. Somebody with a Kindle want to weigh in on this?[/quote]

Like the others, I've not had the best luck with PDFs on the kindle. One thing I would point out when you're sending is if you are emailing it to your friend's kindle email addy, send it through the free Kindle address. There can be a document charge unless they download via Wifi. For example, if the kindle email address is [email protected] then just change to [email protected]. I do that with Net Galley books and that way I don't get the document handling fee. I get an email from Amazon when the document is ready to download and then just save to kindle via USB cable.

I hope that makes sense...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu March 15th, 2012, 7:00 pm

if I have a Word document of my own which I want to keep on the Kindle, I create a copy sized for A5 paper (that's almost paperback-book size) and set the default font to larger than normal in a way that will be reflected by the rest of the style-sheets used in the document and then save it as a PDF. That why I can see the print on the Kindle without zooming although sometimes I still read it in landscape on the Kindle..

For PDFs that have been created from scans, I have given up on Kindle as it doesn't handle many of them well -- that was the whole reason I bought the iPad so that I could read those PDFs plus I can synchronize what I have on my computers and the iPad with DropBox.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu March 15th, 2012, 9:15 pm

[quote=""SGM""]if I have a Word document of my own which I want to keep on the Kindle, I create a copy sized for A5 paper (that's almost paperback-book size) and set the default font to larger than normal in a way that will be reflected by the rest of the style-sheets used in the document and then save it as a PDF. That why I can see the print on the Kindle without zooming although sometimes I still read it in landscape on the Kindle.. [/quote]

Is there any particular reason you do this instead of just converting the Word doc to mobi? The text would be fluid and you wouldn't have to manually create a second document.

Return to “The Writing Business”