Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

British Library Podcasts

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SGM
Compulsive Reader

British Library Podcasts

Post by SGM » Fri March 9th, 2012, 7:17 pm

You might find something of interest to you amongst these Podcasts. They appear to play on most media players.

Some are very anglo-centric but some cover certain historical personalities or interviews with writers about writing.

I assume that they are not limited just to UK internet users but can't be sure.

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/podcasts/talks/index.html
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat March 10th, 2012, 6:38 pm

A local arts and affairs host has been running "The History of the World in 100 Objects" a joint BBC and British Museum podcast (100 episodes of about 15 minutes each.) It's fascinating. There's an accompanying book as well. I'm sure this sounds funny, but I'm enjoying listening one episode at a time and look forward to each day at 1:00. The entire collection can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ahow
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat March 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]A local arts and affairs host has been running "The History of the World in 100 Objects" a joint BBC and British Museum podcast (100 episodes of about 15 minutes each.) It's fascinating. There's an accompanying book as well. I'm sure this sounds funny, but I'm enjoying listening one episode at a time and look forward to each day at 1:00. The entire collection can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ahow[/quote]

Yes, this was quite an adventurous project. I didn't follow all of these and I think (but might be wrong) that there were some TV programmes as well as Radio programmes as well. But it was good that museums throughout the UK were used and not just those in London.

Should you choose to listen to some of the British Library podcasts, I haven't listened to them all yet, but I can recommend particularly David Crystal's Evolving English and the one that is called something like "English: Question and Answer". It is really very amusing. I didn't catch who was chairing the evening but she is really very very funny.

I have been reading David Crystal for years but actually only ever heard him give small contributions to TV programmes. He is also very amusing.

I even enjoyed David Starkey's Henry VIII - and generally I really quite dislike him.
Last edited by SGM on Sat March 10th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sun March 11th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Thank you for sharing this link. They work just fine in Virginia. I dipped into one called Begat, about the influence of the King James Bible (I believe it just celebrated it's 500th year). I look foreward to downloading some to my ipod and listening while at the gym.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon March 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]Thank you for sharing this link. They work just fine in Virginia. I dipped into one called Begat, about the influence of the King James Bible (I believe it just celebrated it's 500th year). I look foreward to downloading some to my ipod and listening while at the gym.[/quote]

Happily someone bought that book for a birthday last year so I haven't listened to this one yet but shall get round to it soon.

Do listen to his other one when you get time. It is also delightful -- Shakespeare with its original accent.

Working it out on my fingers, I think it was the 400th anniversary rather than 500th.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Mon March 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Happily someone bought that book for a birthday last year so I haven't listened to this one yet but shall get round to it soon.

Do listen to his other one when you get time. It is also delightful -- Shakespeare with its original accent.

Working it out on my fingers, I think it was the 400th anniversary rather than 500th.[/quote]

20 minus 16--yes, I think you're right! 400th. I will very much enjoy these. As with most Americans, any British accent sounds great to me.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon March 12th, 2012, 7:42 pm

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]20 minus 16--yes, I think you're right! 400th. I will very much enjoy these. As with most Americans, any British accent sounds great to me.[/quote]

Ah-hah! According to Crystal you might recognise the accent as your own!

Return to “General Discussion”