Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 28th, 2012, 3:19 am

A Week at Waterloo by Magdalene de Lancey, who was the bride of one of Wellington's adjutants, a career officer who was American by birth.

For a week after the Battle of Waterloo, Magdalene stayed at the site of the battle fighting to save the life of her grievously wounded husband, to no avail. This moving, tragic account is from the letters she sent to her brother afterwards.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 28th, 2012, 11:01 am

Finished The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller - fair to middling.
Now reading Master and God by Lyndsey Davis. Her usual inimitable style with some marvellous turns of phrase, but a lot denser than Falco.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 28th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Posted by EC
Now reading Master and God by Lyndsey Davis. Her usual inimitable style with some marvellous turns of phrase, but a lot denser than Falco.
I'm looking forward to this one, but hope it not quite as dense as Rebela & Traitors, which did go on a bit.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by EC

I'm looking forward to this one, but hope it not quite as dense as Rebela & Traitors, which did go on a bit.[/quote]

There is a lot of telling rather than showing and I have just had a huge :eek: :eek: :eek: moment as the author has used a very strange viewpoint device. I fear I may go and read something else for a while. The humour and pithy comment remains second to none but...
I'd be interested to know what you think Annis.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 29th, 2012, 2:52 am

I've overspent my book budget yet again, so will have to wait till Master and God comes into the library. I blame Kindle- I keep starting series and hitting that "buy" button each time I finish one book and can't wait to find out what happens next!

Currently reading A Room Full of Bones, the latest Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway mystery- I've been enjoying these- they're rather similar to Kate Ellis' books where a mystery in the present is related to one in the past.
Last edited by annis on Thu March 29th, 2012, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu March 29th, 2012, 3:23 am

Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 29th, 2012, 11:56 am

Annis - I like Elly Griffiths too, easy to read and a good historical connection, and good, believable characters too. I have a couple of Kate Ellis's books but haven't read them yet.

I've just started "Death in August" by Marco Vicchi, a crime novel set in Florence in summer 1963.
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu March 29th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I finished Hunger Games this morning and have started the second book-but not my choice. Our internet isn't working at the house, so I can't read Susan's Queen of Last Hopes on my Kindle and I received an e-mail from the company I bought the Lion of Alnwick trilogy from letting me know I will only be receiving one of the books. Blah!

I thought the Games was ok, but not all it's been cracked up to be. Interested to see what they do with the second one but I really wanted to go back to my challenge.
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]

I thought the Games was ok, but not all it's been cracked up to be. Interested to see what they do with the second one but I really wanted to go back to my challenge.[/quote]
As usual, the quality drops off. In our current system, authors have years to work on the first book, but only months to write the subsequent novels. It really shows, and both reader and writer are the worse for it.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu March 29th, 2012, 6:41 pm

The Chocolate Bridal Bash by Joanna Carl
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “General Discussion”