Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Philippa Gregory & New TV Series

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 4:49 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Why does it have to be based on any books? It's history - surely just base it off of history... The Tudors (Showtime) wasn't based off any books, was it? Neither is The Borgias.[/quote]

The TV adaptation is based on her Cousins' War books, I think.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 4:51 pm

[quote=""wendy""]And what have they done to Sean Bean???[/quote]

LOL. Yes, Sean Bean is playing a transsexual in a UK TV programme. It doesn't suit him as he's too much of a man's man in my opinion.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 6:25 pm

[quote=""wendy""]And what have they done to Sean Bean???[/quote]

Does not suit him at all. "We aren't putting you in the historical series, now wear a dress instead".
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 6:46 pm

Yes, but that's a lovely color he's wearing.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 8:58 pm

I remember seeing PG post this news bit on her forum last month.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 1:37 am

I watched both versions of TOBG and what spoilt the British version was the on camera dialogue, why? Were they hoping to replicate House of Cards? It didn't work.

I know I am probably in the minority but PG's book TOBG I rather enjoyed, but I favour a good gripping story line above absolulte correctness and accuracy.

The strange thing is I have enjoyed most of PG's books except the ones on the Cousins War, so go figure. :rolleyes:

I can see why the producers would choose PG but I just thought SKP did such a good job in her books which are accurate as well as gripping.(Dreams that one day they will make a TV drama from her Welsh Trilogy *sigh*)

LOL Wendy I had a senior moment when I glanced at the pic and thought...'wow that woman looks just like Sean Bean' heehee! :D :p

Misfit that's a great idea...Who is for picking actors who they would like to see portray the revelent personalities....For isntance I would choose either Mark Strong or Dominic West for Warwick the Kingmaker. I would also LOVE to see the gorgeous Richard Armitage portray Richard III but he is probably too old now *sigh*

I did enjoy the Tudors irrespective that they did not think accuracy was important, I watched it for pure entertainment.

So who would you all like to see star in The Cousins War?

Bec :)

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 4:29 am

The books were no good so hoepfully the TV adaption will be better.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am

[quote=""rebecca""]LOL Wendy I had a senior moment when I glanced at the pic and thought...'wow that woman looks just like Sean Bean' heehee! :D :p

[/B]

Bec :) [/quote]

That made me smile! :D

I have to say I enjoy PG's books. I find them entertaining and page turners.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 9:47 am

[quote=""rebecca""]
I know I am probably in the minority but PG's book TOBG I rather enjoyed, but I favour a good gripping story line above absolulte correctness and accuracy.[/quote]

Accuracy isn't my issue with PG, it's the one-dimensional characters... I seem to be in the minority in that regard.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 12:42 pm

I've only read one PG book (The Queen's Fool, I think) and I was underwhelmed - just didn't find it particularly plausible or convincing. But I have a couple of others and might try them.

I saw the BBC version of The Other Boleyn Girl, when it was first screened several years ago now. To be honest, I found it so boringly done that I didn't watch it all. And for someone who loves The Tudors that's saying something.

But if done in the right way, this new one could be fun. If it's done in the fluffy soap-opera way of The Tudors and The Borgias, it could be great entertainment at least. How accurate it'll be is another matter, of course.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”