Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Goodreads Help

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Goodreads Help

Post by Rowan » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 9:12 pm

Okay ladies and gents, I need help with Goodreads. Whenever I first access the site, before logging into my account, I've noticed the recommendations that the site offers based on what we read. So I looked for my list of recommendations, but none of the categories is historical fiction. I have historical fiction that I've read listed, but all that comes up is fantasy, mystery and young adult. How do I get historical fiction recommendations?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 10:24 pm

If you have historical fiction as one of your shelves, it will show up under "Recommendations by Shelf" (there may be more than one page you have to scroll through). If you have historical fiction selected as one of your favorite genres, it will also show under "Recommendations by Genre". Note the little question mark in the top right corner of recommendations of genre - hover over it and it will say "Q: How can I customize this list? Customize by selecting your favorite genres" which then links to where you can do this.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 10:31 pm

You might also try adding more shelves for your books, i.e. I'll shelve Gone With the Wind as historical fiction, but I'd also shelve it as Civil War. You can be creative as you want to be with those shelves. It is amusing seeing what gets recommended to me on my "no freaking way" and "Harriet loved it" shelves :p

There is also the function to make any shelf "eclusive" like read, to read currently reading are. I've added DNF and abandoned as I want them on my shelves, but there aren't really *read* either. Hope that makes sense.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 4:02 pm

[QUOTE=There is also the function to make any shelf "eclusive" like read, to read currently reading are. I've added DNF and abandoned as I want them on my shelves, but there aren't really *read* either. Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

How? I went looking and couldn't find that since there are several books I actually haven't read but I've watched the movie or wall banged but I had to put them as read! I only do the basics on goodreads as I can't actually figure out how or who to follow as far as reviews go, if I should friend everybody that friends me, etc.
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 4:27 pm

See the attacked image. Go to edit your bookshelves, and you'll see the option to make something exclusive, which means you can't combine it with another exclusive shelf like read, to read, etc.

Hmmm, I see some new options there. I hadn't see the sticky one before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon March 19th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Ok usually when I have a book listed as currently reading, I can put the page number I'm on. Now with Crown in Candlelight, I can only put the percentage. Anyone know why? I have no freaking idea what percentage of the book I've read! Thanks.
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Ok usually when I have a book listed as currently reading, I can put the page number I'm on. Now with Crown in Candlelight, I can only put the percentage. Anyone know why? I have no freaking idea what percentage of the book I've read! Thanks.[/quote]

On your update field, hover over the % and you can click to change it to pages. I prefer having a % option on ebooks, but want a page update for the dead tree versions.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon March 19th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Thank you! Yes, for the Kindle reads, I'm ok with the % because unless I hit a thousand buttons, I can't see what page I'm on!
Brenna

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon March 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm

The percentage usually shows when you've shelved the ebook/Kindle edition so check to be sure you haven't shelved the ebook/Kindle edition if you actually have a print edition. And vice versa - if you're reading an ebook/Kindle book and the update on Goodreads is showing page numbers instead of percentages, you may have shelved a print edition instead.

Unless you don't care which edition you've shelved!

[quote=""Brenna""]Thank you! Yes, for the Kindle reads, I'm ok with the % because unless I hit a thousand buttons, I can't see what page I'm on![/quote]

If the Kindle book has page numbers, you need only press the menu button (on non-Touch) or tap the top part of the screen (on Touch) and the page number should appear at the bottom of the screen. If the Kindle book does not have page numbers though, then yeah, it's annoying to try to find them from a print edition.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue March 20th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Actually I had the hardcover version highlighted so I'm not sure why it switched back to %. Good to know though! Thank you.
Brenna

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”