Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 25th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Posted by Princess
Just about to start The Noble Assassin by Christie Dickason
I enjoyed Noble Assassin, and was inspired to also read The King's Daughter which acts as a companion piece - interesting stuff as I wasn't that familar with the Jacobean period and had barely heard of Prince Henry, the king's heir and England's hope for a vigorous Protestant warrior-prince. Unfortunately he died at eighteen, leaving the sickly Charles as successor to the throne.

Currently reading V.M. Whitworth's novel The Bone Thief, set in 9th century England around the struggle for power between King Alfred's children Athelfled, Lady of the Mercians, and Edward, now king of Wessex. Entertaining, suspenseful and atmospheric - a retiring, naive young cleric must outwit a myriad of devious Danes and dodgy Englishmen with an eye for the main chance in order to win the prize and save the Lady he idolizes.
Last edited by annis on Sat February 25th, 2012, 9:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sun February 26th, 2012, 1:51 am

Robin Lady of Legend.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun February 26th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Finished Her Deadly Mischief: A Tito Amato Mystery by Beverle Graves Myers; a light read, somewhat predictable. Halfway through The Black Stallion by Walter Farley; a nostalgic read.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun February 26th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Currently reading Alessandro Baricco's reimagining of the Trojan War in "An Iliad".

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 27th, 2012, 9:41 am

My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon February 27th, 2012, 9:59 am

The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller. Very good so far.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Mon February 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Ooo, Vanessa. One of my favorites by Mary Stewart. Hope you enjoy it.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue February 28th, 2012, 12:08 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Princess

I enjoyed Noble Assassin, and was inspired to also read The King's Daughter which acts as a companion piece - interesting stuff as I wasn't that familar with the Jacobean period and had barely heard of Prince Henry, the king's heir and England's hope for a vigorous Protestant warrior-prince. Unfortunately he died at eighteen, leaving the sickly Charles as successor to the throne.[/quote]

I didn't know she'd had a companion book out!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 28th, 2012, 12:45 am

The King's Daughter was actually written first, and is about the young Elizabeth Stuart up till her marriage to Frederick V, Elector Palatine, and covers her inadvertent role in the Gunpowder Plot. The GP conspirators planned to use Elizabeth as a puppet queen if they'd succeeded in killing King James and his heir Prince Henry as intended. Both books are standalones, but it's instructive to read them together. Lucy makes an appearance in King's Daughter and the older Elizabeth plays a significant part in Noble Assassin. In some ways Elizabeth is a warmer, more likeable character than Lucy, who has a sharper-edged, more complex personality.
Last edited by annis on Tue February 28th, 2012, 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue February 28th, 2012, 8:28 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Princess

I enjoyed Noble Assassin, and was inspired to also read The King's Daughter which acts as a companion piece - interesting stuff as I wasn't that familar with the Jacobean period and had barely heard of Prince Henry, the king's heir and England's hope for a vigorous Protestant warrior-prince. Unfortunately he died at eighteen, leaving the sickly Charles as successor to the throne.[/quote]

Henry was the great Protestant hope and his existence contributed to the ease with which James VI/I succeeded to the English throne -- at last the succession was secured for another generation. It was for Henry that James wrote Basilikon Doron. Henry was also immensely popular, as was his sister Elizabeth which is why many a young Scots and English gentlemen took up arms with the Dutch or Swedish armies to facilitate the return of her kingdom.

However, he had begun to attract around him those who did not support many of his father's policies and there might have been strife in the future if he had survived to adulthood. (See Conrad Russell on the subject and Strong's book on Henry himself).

I know Charles was sickly as a youngster, so much so that he was left beind when James and his family came south in 1603 but although small, a stutterer and lacking in confidence as he grew older, I thought he threw off his ill-health.

Actually Charles and even Buckingham were briefly extremely popular when they returned from Madrid with no intention of marrying the Infanta. People cheered and had tears in their eyes at the same return of their prince. But rather unfortunately both Charles and Buckingham managed to mess that up pretty quickly. (See Lockyer on both Buckingham and Charles).

Jacobean is one of my favourite periods of British history.
Last edited by SGM on Tue February 28th, 2012, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “General Discussion”