Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Author

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Leonardo Noto
Scribbler

Thanks

Post by Leonardo Noto » Mon January 30th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Thanks, thanks, and thanks :)

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.

Spartak

What's a new author supposed to do?

Post by Spartak » Tue January 31st, 2012, 9:45 am

Dear All,

Sheesshh! What’s a writer supposed to do? I uploaded my book ‘Death in Holy Orders’ onto the Kindle DP platform (it’s been there for just over six weeks). On the .com site I get a great review, 5*. The reviewer says-

5.0 out of 5 stars Morterilli---Amazing, January 6, 2012

By
Mike - See all my reviews

This review is from: Death in Holy Orders (Kindle Edition)

My first ever review,
Sometimes but not very often I am pleasantly surprised by the quality and readability of a new author (new to me that is). The story line is good, the characters are good, the pace of the storyline seems to flow like a well maintained classic car. My only query, how does this guy survive all of his adventures and mishaps? A five star read in my opinion.END

Then yesterday I received a 1* review on the .co.uk site

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Death in Holy Orders (the First Book in the Father Morterilli Historical Murder Mystery Series) by Merlin Lockey, 30 Jan 2012

By
Bridav - See all my reviews

This review is from: Death in Holy Orders (Kindle Edition)

Just plain awful in every respect. I bought this by mistake after downloading a sample. Gory, unpleasant, conjures up horrific images of maiming, torture, sadism, diseased and rotting bodies, rampaging rats, putrifaction. A rat coming out of an old woman dead plague victim's gumless mouth, popping its head out and sniffing round with a pink nose eg. Bloodthirsty dogs ripping people to pieces and eating them. Child eating demons, catacombs and endless human bones described, particularly nasty was the cardinal's death room with human shoulder blades framing an image of the crucifiction, just as rough examples. The ebook itself is full of typos and OCR errors, scrapping many times instead of scraping, eg.
I had a nightmare after reading just the first part of this book. 18 rated. For fans of corruption, putrefaction, pus and blood and animals eating people. Not for the faint hearted or discerning readers. The worst £5.14 I have ever spent, even by mistake! It will be deleted from my Kindle.END

Check it out for yourself- it’s genuine and still there. In fact they both are, genuine that is and still there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006K2586S
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K2586S

Now I can understand someone not liking my book. It’s not for every taste but then again I specifically put at the bottom of the product description ‘The book contains strong descriptions of sex and violence and is recommended for adult readers only’. (See below or at the website for cross reference)

My question is, what more can you do as a writer? The title itself has ‘Death’ in it, not Father Morterilli rides around on a sweet pony smelling the spring flowers whilst falling in love with a pretty peasant girl who he gives up his vocation and marries so they live happily ever after. The tags are clear they say: horror, horror fiction, erotic and vampires (there aren’t any vampires but I didn’t create the tag and I can’t remove it).

Then the reviewer states that the text is FULL of typos and errors. Just to rub salt into the wound the reviewer castigates ALL of the text. I think that I can put my hand on my heart and say it isn’t FULL of the aforementioned.

I even priced it high because I thought that readers who think and read the product description and the title are going to think twice before spending their money.

Has this reader never read any James Herbert material? What about Stephen King? They tell me they had a nightmare after reading it- is that good or bad?

I like to write graphically, painting a picture as a story, letting the words create the effect in the readers mind. Should I stop? I noted the reviewer doesn’t mention the explicit sex scene at the end in the epilogue. Did they read it to the end?

What is a writer supposed to do? Your thoughts please, good or bad are welcome.

Product Description
Product Description
“They will come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” Matthew 7:15

'Secrets' - There are secrets here. Secrets hidden in the pages of a story depicting the life of a 17th century priest and Inquisitor. He finds answers to some questions but only in the enfolding of his and his companions lives can he find answers to most.

The secrets he discovers are not only relevant to his time but also to ours. Secrets of 'good and evil'. Secrets of how... Well I'll allow you to discover that for yourselves. But be aware, you have to know what questions to ask before you can possibly discover the answers and if you do they may change your understanding of life as you know it.

The book contains strong descriptions of sex and violence and is recommended for adult readers only.

Suggested Tags from Similar Products
(What's this?)
Be the first one to add a relevant tag (keyword that's strongly related to this product)
Check a corresponding box or enter your own tags in the field below
erotica(1)
horror(1)
horror fiction(1)
vampires(1)
Spartak

Death in Holy Orders (A Historical Murder Mystery Book)
[/URL]

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue January 31st, 2012, 2:10 pm

Welcome, Leonardo.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue January 31st, 2012, 6:08 pm

[quote=""Leonardo Noto""]I have a lot of disparate interests. I'm into just about anything historical, from any period. As a physician, I also perpetually have my face stuck in medical journals and contemporary science mags. My undergrad degree was in political science and I try to stay up-to-date with world politics, mostly by reading The Economist every week. I'm also a historical simulations junkie and I can't stop playing Europa Universalis 3 no matter how hard I try (big fan of Civilization too)! How about yourself? Thanks for the welcome, now back to work :)

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.[/quote]

In answer to your questions, I don't get to read as much as I would like but I enjoy pretty much any period in history before electricity was in widespread use. Medieval Europe is a heavy favorite with me, also Colonial America all the way to Westerns. I have a love of Ancient Greece, but have yet to read much fiction based there. I get a lot of Dr. Seuss, and some romance novels. I've dabbled in short story anthologies. The only thing I don't read is murder mysteries because I scare easily. Other than that, I'm willing to try just about anything.

Not into gaming much, as I don't have the time for it. Civilization has tempted me, but my family would object to my spending hours playing it as I'm sure I would. I did join my local SCA group though, which may be just as bad. :D

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 10:47 pm

Hi Leonardo, I'm even newer than you are. As an Army brat, I always enjoy military historical fiction. The Colonial era is also one that I enjoy so I am looking forward to your book.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Leonardo Noto
Scribbler

Thanks brother

Post by Leonardo Noto » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 1:04 pm

Yeah, I was an Army brat too (father, grandfather, and great grandfather were all Army!). I'm looking forward to your feedback, let me know what you think!

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu February 16th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Hope you have fun with our mixed bunch of readers, writers and critics!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Fri February 17th, 2012, 2:42 am

We've already said hi Leonardo, but here's wishing you all the best at HFO.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Return to “Introduce Yourself”