Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Viking mass grave linked to elite killers of the medieval world

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Viking mass grave linked to elite killers of the medieval world

Post by Rowan » Wed January 25th, 2012, 4:32 pm

A crew of Viking mercenaries – some of the fiercest and most feared killers in the medieval world – could be the occupants of a mysterious mass grave in the south of England, according to a new theory.

The intriguing hypothesis is being put forward in a documentary, Viking Apocalypse, which will premiere on National Geographic UK on Wednesday, 25 January, and attempts to piece together the identities of a group of men who were apparently the victims of a horrific mass execution around the turn of the 11th century.
Full story

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu January 26th, 2012, 11:32 am

Thanks for the link, Rowan. Sounds like a typical 'sexed up' title for an archaeologist to get the grant he needs. The things they have to come up with nowadays! Surely it's exciting enough that there were 50 headless bodies without calling them "elite killers"?

I would assume it's the same headless bodies as in this thread:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=3140
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu January 26th, 2012, 12:12 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Thanks for the link, Rowan. Sounds like a typical 'sexed up' title for an archaeologist to get the grant he needs. The things they have to come up with nowadays! Surely it's exciting enough that there were 50 headless bodies without calling them "elite killers"?

I would assume it's the same headless bodies as in this thread:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=3140[/quote]

I have read somewhere that they were decapitated from the front! In other words they stood to watch the executioner to demonstrate their courage. :eek:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 26th, 2012, 4:16 pm

[quote=""Ken""]I have read somewhere that they were decapitated from the front! In other words they stood to watch the executioner to demonstrate their courage. :eek: [/quote]

Yes I read this too :eek: :eek:
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross

Return to “History in the News”