Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed October 1st, 2008, 7:13 am

My daughter is going to a fancy dress party at Hallowe'en so she'll be dressing up. We have been to Hallowe'en parties before. I've been as a witch and a devil. My husband won't dress up, though - thinks it's silly (sad man!) - the nearest he's got is putting red ink on his neck and pretending to be a victim. Funnily enough, as he doesn't dress up, he's the one who looks odd. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed October 1st, 2008, 7:17 am

Halloween somewhat loses its effect in Australia when the sun isn't down till after 9:00 by then.

I've never done it and I can't ever remember someone knocking on our door either come to think of it.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed October 1st, 2008, 11:15 am

I dunno if I will or not. I'm on the fence about it. I mentionedi t to the ladies I work with and they looked horrified.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed October 1st, 2008, 1:18 pm

Our girls have informed us that we need to have a party this year. We don't live in a neighborhood, so trick or treating each year is problematic. Since Halloween is on a Friday, we're thinking about having a party for the kids Saturday afternoon, and we'll probably have some friends over and cook out. My eight year old wants to watch Halloween movies (not so scary variety).

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed October 1st, 2008, 1:51 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]Halloween somewhat loses its effect in Australia when the sun isn't down till after 9:00 by then..[/quote]

Hee, I never thought about that...

Halloween was my fav holiday as a kid. My neighborhood was filled with kids, and there was always plenty of goodies. It was also the one chance all year to walk around in the dark without adults (this was in the 60s). In college I went to several Halloween parties, and since I became a teacher of young kids, well I am almost obligated to dress up (oh darn). I love it and the kids do too.

I am also very very fortunate to be in a district that does not ban celebrating it. Its so much fun for the kids; our school has a parade with all the kids in costumes. I think it helps in our area that Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead) is celebrated the day after Halloween, so some of the same themes come up.
I just get so tired of these Puritan folks who say that its devil worshiping and such. Its a fun holiday. Period.

I do notice that nowadays most kids go to planned parties that night, rather than go trick or treating. We still get lots of kids, but not as many as I remember when I was a kid.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 1st, 2008, 3:16 pm

Bosweellbaxter: This year, though, maybe I'll scandalize my teenage daughter and dress up in my gown and my new hennin. Got to get some wear out of it!
I love the hennin!!! One of my favorite15th century paintings has women in hennins. Now you could be one of those ladies!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed October 1st, 2008, 3:16 pm

I work the late shift at the library on Wednesday, so last year I got stuck working on Halloween night. We had candy out for the students who were hanging out studying in the early evening before heading out to the parties and bars. I decided to dress up as a stereotypical librarian (not my normal attire). The sad thing is, nobody but my coworkers noticed. :mad:

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed October 1st, 2008, 3:37 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Since Halloween is on a Friday, we're thinking about having a party for the kids Saturday afternoon, and we'll probably have some friends over and cook out.[/quote]

Sounds fun - maybe you could have a Trick or Treat Hunt on your property. Kinda like an Easter Egg Hunt. The kids could burn off sugar highs while running around looking for more treats. Or maybe they'll find they've been tricked instead. :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 1st, 2008, 3:47 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]I love the hennin!!! One of my favorite15th century paintings has women in hennins. Now you could be one of those ladies![/quote]

Nah, I want to be Isabella with the crown! Nothing but the best on Halloween! :)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed October 1st, 2008, 4:07 pm

Last year I wore a circlet of flowers with long steamers that I'd bought in Las Vegas. A few other library staff members wore something but not a full costume.

Return to “Chat”